• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Application of Barrel Brown & Degreaser

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On application of the 2nd coat of Barrel Brown the barrel was blotchy and had black spots in many places so I scuffed it with white scotch-brite and set it aside until I could sand the barrel back to bright metal. The next morning to my surprise the barrel had a even light coat of rust so I scuffed it with the used scotch-brite warmed it a bit wiped it with baking soda and is now taking a motor oil bath.
Now comes the browning of the bits and pieces. Sure is a wealth of knowledge that can be found on this forum and to that I say thanks guys.

What sort of brown are you using?
Cold browns I have used take about a week to work. And a barrel looks like garbage for most of that time
And with baking soda and lots of work it still continues to rust for another two weeks, though the color doesn’t change
I prefer animal vegetable oil to petroleum based

What sort of brown are you using?
Cold browns I have used take about a week to work. And a barrel looks like garbage for most of that time
And with baking soda and lots of work it still continues to rust for another two weeks, though the color doesn’t change
I prefer animal vegetable oil to petroleum based
Using Laurel Mountain Forge’s Barrel Brown & Degreaser and just followed their directions on their website.

Using Laurel Mountain Forge’s Barrel Brown & Degreaser and just followed their directions on their website.
Ok
1) you need follow them very close.
2) especially the wiping.
3) did I mention the wiping
I like to wash the barrel first with soapy water then clean and dry with clean towel
When you add the solution you wipe in one direction. One long stroke across whole of barrel. Never wipe over or rub.
As it works your barrel will get mottled looking as some spots will get darker quicker
Try getting three or four coats on before carding
Use very fine sand paper to card with as steel wool has oils on it. Card like you put on the solution, long one direction stokes.
When done wash with bicarbonate water. Again one way, and dry, don’t oil yet. Repeat the next day, dry and oil. Wipe and oil every day for next week or until you stop getting rust on your rag. Use a clean rag each time.
Olive oil, olive oil bees wax, unsalted lard, mink oil all warmed to as hot as you can stand touching them all work great as the oil for your gun after browning.

I have used Laural Mountain Forge for MANY years and it does a very nice Job. You have to remember that it needs humidity to work. This time of year when the humidity is low a browning box can speed the process. I always wear rubber gloves when handling the barrel to keep the natural oils on my hands from getting on the barrel which causes splotches. The more coats you use the darker the color will be, I do at least 4 or 5 coats to get the color I want.

Latest posts

Back