• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyway to dye white canvas tan?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a few years now I've thought about trying to dye (or stain, I don't know..) my 12'x12' pyramid tent a tan or soft brown. I'm just wanting it to blend in a bit with surroundings instead of being stark white. Curious if anyone has done this type of thing or if it's just better left as is.
View attachment 24773
If you can get some dried husks from black walnuts, mixed with water it makes a nice stain for wood. Gotta believe it would work with cloth also. Just not sure how to treat it for rain or heavy dew.

Attachments

• 47CBF33A-5674-433D-8454-5529355DBBA2.jpeg
    47CBF33A-5674-433D-8454-5529355DBBA2.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 0
Daughter used black walnut hulls - boiled the hulls down a bit, then added the thickened "dye" to water in a kid's plastic swimming pool. Result was so-so. Tent may have had some sort of waterproofing on it. Don't know.

On "virgin" cotton canvas, results may well be different.

If you can get some dried husks from black walnuts, mixed with water it makes a nice stain for wood. Gotta believe it would work with cloth also. Just not sure how to treat it for rain or heavy dew.
I actually bought a few cans of that weather/water proofing spray you use for shoes (Wally world). It seemed to work fairly well and was fast and easy. I spray a fresh coat on it every time I use it.

Last edited:
Being this thread has been resurrected;
I've read where they treated canvas with linseed oil to waterproof their tents and wagons. Furthermore, we had horse drawn wagons in the 80's thru 2010, the old timers back then told us to coat our cover with linseed oil to make it waterproof. We never did, saving the linseed oil for the wagon bed and frame.
Canvas + linseed oil may work, the only trouble is that the linseed can cause spontaneous combustion and the whole thing can and will catch fire when folded up for storage in your garage or vehicle . I was at shoot once when a guy pulled up and started to unpack his new linseed proofed tent and it started to burn as he unwrapped it . Be warned .

My teepee turned tan from having fires in it.
My wall tent did the same thing on the inside from the wood stove. It remained white on the outside.

I know!
Turn the tent inside out, burn a fire (SAFELY!) in it, and let the smoke color it.
I don't guarantee acceptable results, but try it, and let us know if it worked! :dunno:
As they say,
YMMV!

Nature won't take it's course, except perhaps to keep it just about as white as it is.

IF it's water resistant, you're done. :confused:

IF it's not...., you should look into about a dozen boxes of RIT brand brown dye, in a large machine at a laundromat, and don't get caught. The RIT won't chemically harm the fabric as walnuts might. Soaking it in a plastic 55 gallon drum would probably work better than the industrial machine at the laundromat.

LD
I would never recommend dying anything in a laundromat. They post signs there for a reason. That is being inconsiderate to an unsuspecting person that washes their clothes after you. Their cloths get ruined because of something another inconsiderate person does.

Latest posts

Back