Anyway to dye white canvas tan?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Turtle2

36 Cl.
Reaction score
For a few years now I've thought about trying to dye (or stain, I don't know..) my 12'x12' pyramid tent a tan or soft brown. I'm just wanting it to blend in a bit with surroundings instead of being stark white. Curious if anyone has done this type of thing or if it's just better left as is.
Tent12.jpg

Carbon 6

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm guessing that tent is not plain canvas but sunforger or vivatex treated, at any rate any treatment/ waterproofing flame retardant etc.. will likely inhibit dye setting. Attempting to dye it may also result in reduced life of the product.

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
lend it to me. . . . .I can't get from the house to the car wearing a white shirt without getting a stain on it that will NEVER come out.

Kidding aside, I think it will mellow with age, nearly all the Wall tents in Elk camps I have been in, pick up a grayish yellow from sun, smoke, dust and dirt. You could camp in Moab for a week and have a nice pinkish hue to your tent.

Reaction score
For a few years now I've thought about trying to dye (or stain, I don't know..) my 12'x12' pyramid tent a tan or soft brown. I'm just wanting it to blend in a bit with surroundings instead of being stark white. Curious if anyone has done this type of thing or if it's just better left as is.
View attachment 24773
Probably best to leave as-is and let nature take it's course; over time it'll dull out. Nice tent!

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nature won't take it's course, except perhaps to keep it just about as white as it is.

IF it's water resistant, you're done. :confused:

IF it's not...., you should look into about a dozen boxes of RIT brand brown dye, in a large machine at a laundromat, and don't get caught. The RIT won't chemically harm the fabric as walnuts might. Soaking it in a plastic 55 gallon drum would probably work better than the industrial machine at the laundromat.

LD

Turtle2

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Thank you guys. All good points/great ideas and I appreciate all the input. It is sunforger canvas so maybe it is what it is. Maybe I'll try and smoke it and see what happens. I'm thinking I could set it up without the stove but open the stove flap and put a small fire inside and see what happens. If it works, set it up inside out and repeat.

Reaction score
I wish you luck; it's a BIG (12x12) thing to work on. The old-timers were not as interested in the "camo" look as us modern guys. I bet they just let it get as dirty as it would thru normal use and re-use.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

EEBAC888-40E7-4577-9FFF-3162B7DDF8F7.png

Jan. 2020

33BFB893-6DC9-46AF-B77C-FDCDD3795F1C.jpeg

Smoke and time, will darken it somewhat.

I don’t think I would try dying it, it seems it would be hard too keep it uniform.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My Panther Bay pyramid acquired a genuine 'olde timey tan' after a couple rendezvous. The smoke of nearby campfires was probably the reason. Suggest you just let it be to age naturally. Especially since you have an indoor stove set up.

Reaction score
The old timers may well have used tents of hemp canvas, which would have been a grayish tan and less stark than modern white cotton canvas. So the camo look may not have been on their minds they nevertheless had camoed tents.

Group Builder