• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone made powder horn for baffalo horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ole berthey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am sure there is some of you that have made a powder horn out of a buffalo horn. I would like to know how you liked it after you got finished with it. Did the diameter of the big end cause any problem, and did it hang and carry OK. I am thinking about making one, and wanted to know if there were some problems with using buffalo horn before I ordered one. And one last ? how long would you recommend the raw horn to be for the main powder horn. (I shoot percussion.) thanks :hmm:

I have several powder horns and most are by quality makers. Very ornate folk type horns copied from Dresslers book on early american powder horns. I have a buff bull horn that I have carried for years and it is my favorite using horn. It holds a pound of powder. I prefer buff horn. As they say, yore mileage may vary.
The reason? It poors quick and straight. Dumps a charge in about 2 seconds.

I have one made by a fellow in Springville, Ut. It is my number one horn. It holds a Lb. of powder and hangs very well. I can shoot at Rondys all weekend without a refill.
It has a sterling silver plug, and very black. :thumbsup:

Buff horns are nice, they carry alot of powder. The one I made was about 12 inches long raw. Not sure what you mean by if the big end creates a problem. :hmm:

I think buff horns are actually more work than a cow horn. It takes alot of elbow grease to get that scale off. :shocked2: Also, at least with the one I made, you might not get it 100% smooth because of the scale. I kept working and working trying to get it smooth with no flaws until I realised the horn was getting pretty thin. So mine has a few lines and gouges in it, but I think that adds to piece.

Buff horn is more brittle than cow, the fibers are different. Don't know how else to explain it. I ended up cracking the horn at the but end and had to repair it. Never done that with cow.

I love mine, especially because I made it. There is alot of Satisfaction that comes with that. Mister Brasilikilt has made some nice ones and has a bit more insight into them. Hopefully he'll chime in. Good luck!

I've made 3 powder horns from buffalo horns. The bull horn was the nicest. Held a reasonable amount of powder. Not to big. The others were smaller, right size to take on a day hunt.
[url] http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/dlpowell_1223/IM000892.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one from a custom maker, I got off E-bay for 15.00 ,he sold the one I got for 55.00. It is a nice horn, I have it hanging in house for looks, never used it as I have so many that I made. It is smooth as a baby's butt. Has a turned plug in base, nice horn as it has a nice curve, would carry nice. Dilly

Back