• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone know the origin of this pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pistol , has the look of a bear pistol only built I bet for tree rats. From your pic. depending on the distance it gets the job done rather nicely.

I think, technically that's what it is. And I love the looks of those long barreled bear pistols. This one is .44. Definitely accurate enough for head shots on squirrels. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's built for them though. But I'd give anything to have an exact copy of this one in .36. Only...in flint. A guy can dream, right? 🤣

I guess it depends where you are coming from. Around where I live -

1. The church has part of the nave dating from around 900AD.

2. Both villages are mentioned in the 1086AD Domesday Book.

3. The bridge into the lower village was built in 1203AD.

4. On each side of the road leading up the hill, in the last 20 years of field-walking, over 6000 items dating from between 4500 BC and 600AD have been found.

5. Just up the road is a large site of a Roman mansio dating from around 280 - 300 AD.

Many houses in our village were built between 1580AD and 1640AD...

Trust me, fifty years just ain't an antique.
I love BBC's Time Team!!! Watched it tonight on YouTube. You guys may envy our guns laws (for now at least) but I envy your archeology. You can't dig a post hole or walk across a field without finding something Roman or older it seems. Studied Archeology in college and have done a dig on what's thought to be "oldest" house in the county, 1739 . Being among Roman ruins and standing in a Roman sentry box in Trier Germany was for me a moment to reflect on history and what's really old compared to here in the USA. Had the amusing thought that my Barbaric Germanic ancestors were probably throwing rocks at and bushwacking the Romans just for the fun of it😅.

I'll tell you man, if there's one thing I can do right, it's clean and fry a mess of squirrels. I wish I had more success with other pursuits.

The way I do it though is I make a cut across their back, and work my fingers in and pull up and down, the shirt and pants come right off. Take off the 4 legs. Behind shoulder blades on front, nick the ball joints on the rear, and make a cut up the ribs on each side and pull the back right out. I'm pretty fast. No mess. Goes right in kitchen trash, nothing wasted except what needs to be.
Try this on the next dead squirrel, cut the tail bone thru from the bottom feet, from that cut extend a cut up the inside of each rear leg to the foot. Now cut the hide around each rear foot, holding the carcass by the rear feet stand on the tail and pull up. Your squirrel's hide will neatly turn inside out like a rubber glove, then cut off the head and feet. You now have a skinned squirrel without a single hair sticking to the carcass. That's the way my West Virginia born Grandfather (1901-1981) taught me.

Try this on the next dead squirrel, cut the tail bone thru from the bottom feet, from that cut extend a cut up the inside of each rear leg to the foot. Now cut the hide around each rear foot, holding the carcass by the rear feet stand on the tail and pull up. Your squirrel's hide will neatly turn inside out like a rubber glove, then cut off the head and feet. You now have a skinned squirrel without a single hair sticking to the carcass. That's the way my West Virginia born Grandfather (1901-1981) taught me.

My method doesn't leave hair either, that's why I do it. However, it leaves the hide in two pieces. Does yours leave it in one piece? I wouldn't mind tanning some squirrel hides. I have one in the freezer right now that I skinned out perfectly the old fashioned way. Just waiting for time to do the lips and feet. My thought was to put it on a form and mount it for the living room, but it seems like every time I have time, I just use it for something else.

The old fashioned cased-way definitely leaves hair though. I quit doing that a long time ago.

My method doesn't leave hair either, that's why I do it. However, it leaves the hide in two pieces. Does yours leave it in one piece? I wouldn't mind tanning some squirrel hides. I have one in the freezer right now that I skinned out perfectly the old fashioned way. Just waiting for time to do the lips and feet. My thought was to put it on a form and mount it for the living room, but it seems like every time I have time, I just use it for something else.

The old fashioned cased-way definitely leaves hair though. I quit doing that a long time ago.
When you are done you have the whole hide, just rolled inside out hanging from the tail. Takes longer to describe it than do. After struggling the other way Pa show me how he did it a whole lot faster and neater. Leaves a nice hide for tanning. I used to give the ones I tanned to my little sister, she called them her fox hides after my mounted one.

They're pretty good. I've yet to see a gray this side of south dakota, and not many fox squirrels in the black hills either. But yeah. Theyre very popular table fare, and a red squirrel is worth its weight in gold.

FOX SQUIRRELS ARE PROTECTED IN FLORIDA, AT MY PLACE IN NEW MEXICO SQUIRRELS
ARE ON THE RUN --TOO MANY RATTLERS AND TOO FEW TREES AROUND. FORGET
EATING THE SQUIRRELS-- FRY US UP SOME RATTLERS.

Buddy you want homemade snake fritters with biscuits and rattlesnake gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, and stovetop cranberry sauce, then you just bring um up here my way....

🤷‍♂️ but you're going to have to bring me up a couple horns of that Florida rum if you expect me to sit down and eat it with you.

Latest posts

Back