• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone done any late season elk hunt's ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txjon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not getting any younger and really want to do a trip of my lifetime, Elk hunt !! For me it will have to be a late season ...NOV, DEC ish, Colorado.

Just wondering if anyone else has ventured out that time of year.

Most all of my hunting for elk has been in the late season after the end of October. Out of the 22 head I have killed I think only 3 have been September and October. Some of those have been cow tags, some Spike only and a few late bull tags. A lot have been rifle tags and some have been muzzleloader tags.
I love hunting bulls in the late season.

In Colorado your looking at November 3rd or 4th rifle season. There are some late seasons that get into December and even January but only a few.

3rd season has OTC tags… 4th season is draw only. You might look into some kind of late season ranch hunt if you can afford it & it’s a once in a lifetime hunt.

Wondering in your experience, by 3rd rifle season has the hunting pressure subsided any ? Or is it still wheel off on public land ?

I'll check my lottery tickets but if I don't hit soon, it's gonna be a public land hunt, haha

No the pressure is pretty constant from September through November. 4th season might be a little less due to it being draw only. Success rates hover somewhere around 20% for elk. So it’s not a slam dunk by any means. That’s why I mentioned the ranch hunt.

Otherwise, my advice would be to get a cow tag for the 4th season in a unit that takes several points to draw a bull tag. It might take a couple or more points even for the cow tag. Start getting points now to hunt in a couple/ few years.

Last edited:
Yeah I see that almost all units are around the 20% ish for harvesting anything. Just like my fishing trips, its really just being out there. haha says every hunter/fishman with limited success.
For my first trip I'm half tempted to not even really hunt. Just get out there and search for Elk. Being my first trip west.

Yeah I see that almost all units are around the 20% ish for harvesting anything. Just like my fishing trips, its really just being out there. haha says every hunter/fishman with limited success.
For my first trip I'm half tempted to not even really hunt. Just get out there and search for Elk. Being my first trip west.

I would think about a cow elk trip, unit 10 has a late late season for cow, Elk aren't big deer, they act and react differently. If you can I would really think about a cow hunt, might just get one and the actual hunting is much better then "Just get out there and search for Elk." That time of year in that unit the cows will be in a herd of hundreds have a GPS and a "Chip" (showing what land is public & what is not) If you find that herd, they will in general be headed west (Ish) get out ahead and wait.

Just checked my trail cams for bear this afternoon. . . . here's a little eye candy for you.
WGI_0169.JPG

Yeah I'm not opposed to a cow hunt, or Mule deer to be honest. Thanks all for the advice, greatly appreciated for sure.

I don't wanna find one of those Demon Elk haha

The cold I thought might thin the hunting crowd...but it don't look that way.

I have to envy those of you in elk country. An elk or moose hunt is a bucket list item for me. Since I'm not getting any younger, it may never happen. And I've never seen either critter in the Adirondacks of upstate NY.

I wish you all luck this season, stack some meat in the freezer.

TXJON speaks for me, too. I’ve been longing for a DIY western elk hunt, or a combination big game hunt out of my tent. Because I’ve only been putting in for a Pennsylvania elk tag for twenty years and still didn’t draw a tag yesterday, I’m beginning to think a lot more creatively about how to get out west and hunt. Wilderness hunting out of my tent with titanium stove is my favorite thing. And I’ve never done it out west.

If you bow hunt at all, you could also get a bow tag. There are tags for many ok (IE not fantastic) units that are super easy to get. Bow & Muzzleloader run about the same time of year. So you could draw a Bow tag, Stay in El Cheep'Oh Motel and learn a ton about the area and it's elk for not too too much $$$, all while getting points to get that Smoke pole tag in the same unit.

I have to envy those of you in elk country. An elk or moose hunt is a bucket list item for me. Since I'm not getting any younger, it may never happen. And I've never seen either critter in the Adirondacks of upstate NY.

Elk is definitely doable with just the cost of an OTC tag and the travel expenses to get here. Moose is another story… very limited tags. Even for a cow tag.

If you bow hunt at all, you could also get a bow tag. There are tags for many ok (IE not fantastic) units that are super easy to get. Bow & Muzzleloader run about the same time of year. So you could draw a Bow tag, Stay in El Cheep'Oh Motel and learn a ton about the area and it's elk for not too too much $$$, all while getting points to get that Smoke pole tag in the same unit.
I’m framing your advice. I’ve probably heard or read some version of it a hundred times before, but you’ve put it in terms I can get into my head. Thank you

I’ve seen moose in the ADKs. Killed my biggest bear and biggest buck in the ADKs. Tons of hard work, privation, and years of passing up small bucks or seeing nothing to shoot. Totally worth it

I’ve seen moose in the ADKs. Killed my biggest bear and biggest buck in the ADKs. Tons of hard work, privation, and years of passing up small bucks or seeing nothing to shoot. Totally worth it
I’ve taken some nice bucks up here, and a decent bear, saw moose tracks once, but never the moose. I’ve not had the pleasure of passing up bucks, I like horns, but I love venison, so if the buck cooperates, I’ll take the shot.

And it sounds like you guys are encouraging me to try my hand at elk. I retire in 13 months. And I do sit in the woods with a bow, after 30 years of bow hunting I’ve taken 3 bucks that way. I’d probably come apart at the seams hearing the first bugle of an elk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back