• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone build a Jim Chambers Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am still thinking on building a Jim Chambers Muzzeloader. I was reading there website and would like to know which of the brand of barrels they have for sale would you choose and why?

I would like to have a swamped 54 or larger caliber one with the rould instead of flat surface inside. Lands/grooves can't rember the proper name.

I've "built" 3 Chambers' early Lancasters and all the bbls were .54 cal., round bottom rifling and made by Rice. Certain other Chambers' kits have other brands of bbls but if Chambers offers these for sale, I wouldn't have any doubts as to their quality. Presently building an early Lancaster using all Chambers' components including the Dale Johnson lock but starting from a blank. Buy a Chambers' kit...best on the market and you'll end up w/ a nice MLer...Fred

I've built one Chambers' York kit and now on my second. These both have Rice 50 cal. barrels with the round bottom grooves. Seem fine to me.

I do believe that you can order other brands of barrels if you choose. Give them a call or an e-mail.

You picked the very best kit. But after reading your post, I'm not sure you know what you want. Really this is a big investment, take the time to figure out the gun type, what you want it for and why. The ;pick the gun and go for it! :thumbsup:

Can't go wrong with a Chamber's kit. The Rice barrels are top notch and almost "finish ready" with minimal file work and smoothing out. A real bonus, unless you're into spending countless hours cleaning up a rough barrel...

Excellent products, ready knowledgeable advice, good people to do business with...what more could you want? an egg in your beer :)

Do take to heart the note about checking out what you want before purchase. Maybe someone in your area can show you a JC gun? They feel great in your hand. I have a copule of 54's with a swamped Rice barrel...good shooters and good balance.

rick landes said:
Excellent products, ready knowledgeable advice, good people to do business with...what more could you want? an egg in your beer :)

Do take to heart the note about checking out what you want before purchase. Maybe someone in your area can show you a JC gun? They feel great in your hand. I have a copule of 54's with a swamped Rice barrel...good shooters and good balance.

Part of my delema is I have not held any JC guns yet. There pictures do not do there Guns justice. I do not want something that is bulky or extra heavy. I do not want something with a lot of curve in the but plate. I am looking for a big bore. I thought a bigger hole = a lighter barrel am I incorrect on this point?

No thanks on the egg in my beer.

Check out the Early Lancaster, Isaac Haines or the Mark Silver - Virginia Rifle...any of these will meet your criteria. Give them a call and tell them what your are wanting to accomplish. I am positive they will be very helpful.

The larger bore lighter barrel is not that noticable to me as there is not one OD with varying ID's for the barels. That said a .32 will be lighter than a .54!

Just a note write down what you want to know as to be respective of their time :) and not forget something and have to call back again. (Don't ask me why I know that!)

The swamped barrels give an amazing balance you really have to try to believe.

I'm working on an IH in .54 .I bought the kit without even seeing a JC kit or handleing a finished gun, just went on reputation.My kit has a very slim wrist and forearm areas,wide buttplate common with IH guns of 1770's.I fit the buttplate a little while ago but will probably re-do it as I'm thinking of a little shorter trigger pull for hunting with a coat,we'll see I'm not in a hurry on this.You won't be disappointed :v

I built my dad a .40 Chambers York rifle for Christmas a few years ago. It was my first build and went really well. I'd highly recommend them. I also went with a Rice barrel.

Swede50 said:
rick landes said:

Part of my delema is I have not held any JC guns yet. There pictures do not do there Guns justice. I do not want something that is bulky or extra heavy. I do not want something with a lot of curve in the but plate. I am looking for a big bore. I thought a bigger hole = a lighter barrel am I incorrect on this point?

No thanks on the egg in my beer.

I have probably built a couple dozen of them, you can build them as light and slim as your skills will allow.
Here's some pics of the a few of the JC kits I have built. Click on the pictures for more detail.
JC kits

Latest posts

Back