• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody hear my .58cal Flintlock at dark today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Well, I used a buck tag with my .58cal Flintlock this afternoon...sitting down in a bottom overlooking a trail that goes up the slope to an Oat field that was combined back in early November...had noticed a few scattered deer in the field after dark last weekend so I changed my location today to watch that trail.

It was just about black dark and I was gathering myself together to stand up when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye...sure enough here comes some deer”¦a big doe with a couple smaller deer with her...I can’t even see the Flintlock’s open sights but had a sharp contrast on the deer’s silhouette”¦I brought the sights up behind her front leg and when they disappeared into the black of her body I touched the trigger...she piled up 25-35 yards away.

Cleaned the Flintlock, pulled the drag strap out, walked over to get her, and discovered it was a cowhorn...never saw the little curved beams...big bodied deer with a big head, long face, but had these little 7-8" curved beams.

I delivered him to that needy family I give them to and chuckled when I saw that they’ve gotten a little automated...had a big 4x4 wooden tripod set up in the side yard waiting for their next delivery...said they hang them there to do their work...now THAT'S pressure, eh?...they're EXPECTING me to deliver more :grin:

That's funny Roundball I was listening around Dark too and never heard a Thing.... :hmm:
The fun never ends for you does it?Kill em and you haven't even got to get dirty Dressin and skinnin..... :bow:
Congrats to you on another Kill!

Halftail said:
That's funny Roundball I was listening around Dark too and never heard a Thing.... :hmm:
The fun never ends for you does it?Kill em and you haven't even got to get dirty Dressin and skinnin..... :bow:
Congrats to you on another Kill!
Well, I did have to wipe my hands off on my pants after I loaded/unloaded him...hocks/hind legs were wet & black streaked from working a scrape recently...must have had a huge ego to make up for those little cow horns :rotf:

Matter a fact I did hear a shot way, way, way off in the distance just around dark. :hmm: Nothing but squirrels around me this afternoon. Maybe you should carry a card like Paladin: Have gun will travel. (But the butcher'in is all yours) Sounds like they will eat good. :winking:

Roundball:
You're killin me. :cursing: Just kiddin. :grin: Congrats to you and once again that's great to give the deer to them folks that can really use it. :hatsoff:
How much longer does your season last? I gotta start thinking about moving to N.C.

snagg

snagg said:
Roundball:
You're killin me. :cursing: Just kiddin. :grin: Congrats to you and once again that's great to give the deer to them folks that can really use it. :hatsoff:
How much longer does your season last? I gotta start thinking about moving to N.C.

snagg
Sundown January 1st...get 6 tags/year with your license...depending on what part of the state you hunt in it's 4 bucks/2 does, or 2 bucks/4 does

Roundball do you ever eat deer? That is cool what you do but you might want to try some some time.

I thought I heard something go off last night. I figured it was you! J/K I live in Colorado.

You are on a roll this year. Congradulations

IM pretty sure that was you who spooked my deer back into cover all the way here in ohio. :shocked2:

Sharp Shooter said:
Roundball do you ever eat deer?

No, give them all away...was never crazy about it anyway then when CWD was discovered that ended it permanently for me...as least when I buy a T-bone at the grocery store I can pretend that it's gone through some sort of inspection process...but for sure dragging something dead out of the woods has had nothing at all...so I'll stick with the T-bones :grin:

Back