• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any other crazy kids out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some of those wooden weapons from Frontierland many years ago. Rifles and pistols. I remember mum & dad struggling with them on the plane on the way home, haha. I think the rifle was quite long.
Only the stock was wood.

Lock and barrel were steel.

They shot cork balls with stick-em caps, at least until I “upgraded” mine… 😎

By the time I was 13 my dad kinda regretted teaching me how to build things 😊

Found the cut off piece of 12g barrel from his sawed off. With a pipe tap and plug i had a cannon that i strapped to a wooden toy crossbow. Lit the fuse, it went boom. Heard a scream, looked around the corner to see the mailman falling down 12 stairs.

Grabbed some pipe fired up the welder to make a mortar that shot empty 20g hulls with aa batteries inside.

Pushed 22lr into the ground, stood back and shot the rim with a pellet gun.

My dad told me about putting a potato in tailpipe's. You wouldn't believe the concussion from a muffler blowing from five spuds in the tube.

Grandpa taught me two coke bottles filled with "stuff" one 6 inch fuse one 12 inch fuse. Light at the same time 12 inch fuse right in front of you, 6 inch as far as you could throw it. The 6 inch would scare the fish towards you then the 12 would go off. Grab a net. Thank god my grandpa was drinkin buddies with the fish and game officer.

I better quit talking before I incriminate myself 🤣

When I was 14 I got a Kentucky pistol. Bought it for $15. Had powder but no ball. So I raided my dad’s 16gauge buckshot shells and dumped the buckshot down the bore. Packed it with paper I guess and shot holes in the neighbors old aluminum shed.

Then we’d take the powder from the shotgun shell and add it to an M80 and reseal the M80.

I was dumb but lucky
Can you still count to 10? 🤣

By the time I was 13 my dad kinda regretted teaching me how to build things 😊

Found the cut off piece of 12g barrel from his sawed off. With a pipe tap and plug i had a cannon that i strapped to a wooden toy crossbow. Lit the fuse, it went boom. Heard a scream, looked around the corner to see the mailman falling down 12 stairs.

Grabbed some pipe fired up the welder to make a mortar that shot empty 20g hulls with aa batteries inside.

Pushed 22lr into the ground, stood back and shot the rim with a pellet gun.

My dad told me about putting a potato in tailpipe's. You wouldn't believe the concussion from a muffler blowing from five spuds in the tube.

Grandpa taught me two coke bottles filled with "stuff" one 6 inch fuse one 12 inch fuse. Light at the same time 12 inch fuse right in front of you, 6 inch as far as you could throw it. The 6 inch would scare the fish towards you then the 12 would go off. Grab a net. Thank god my grandpa was drinkin buddies with the fish and game officer.

I better quit talking before I incriminate myself 🤣
Found an old surplus field phone in my Grandpa's garage. Always thought "That's an odd thing to have". Didn't realize until years later what it was for🤣 those were my pre-corrupt years.

Ever seen one of these?

I got my first one at Disneyland in 1965 when I was ten.

Turns out the breech design is exactly like a real percussion gun, so I dumped the powder from a firecracker down the barrel, rammed down a lead sinker in a cloth patch, and promptly shot a hole in a wooden fence.

Kids had so much more fun back then… 😎

View attachment 302538
I had the Rifle also. I can still picture my father giving them to me on my birthday 60 of years ago.

Found an old surplus field phone in my Grandpa's garage. Always thought "That's an odd thing to have". Didn't realize until years later what it was for🤣 those were my pre-corrupt years.
OK, I give. What was it for ? I ask because there was one of those in my uncles old room at 'Gram's house when I was little. He was a WWII combat vet.

Last edited:
My best friend and I made a lot of B/P and any bomb you could think of when we were 13. We made a pistol with a copper barrel; we didn't know better. We tied it to a tree, lit the fuse and ran off behind another tree before it went off, it shot OK.

On day when I was not around, he loaded the pistol with too much powder, held it in his hand a touched it off, it blew up and killed him.

End of story, at 76 I still think about this accident often.

Yep. They used to call it "cranking": You put the bare end of the phone wire in the pond and crank the phone end. It created a small charge and......
That's right up there with gluing field corn to the pan on a muskrat trap and setting it in shallow water for ducks. Back in the eighties I worked with an old Marine who knew every dirty trick in the book.

My best friend and I made a lot of B/P and any bomb you could think of when we were 13. We made a pistol with a copper barrel; we didn't know better. We tied it to a tree, lit the fuse and ran off behind another tree before it went off, it shot OK.

On day when I was not around, he loaded the pistol with too much powder, held it in his hand a touched it off, it blew up and killed him.

That's tough to read. I guess most of us if we think back, shouldn't be here, or not in one piece. I know for me anyway,cin those quiet times in my own thoughts I'm glad I slowed was down on my shenanigans.

That's right up there with gluing field corn to the pan on a muskrat trap and setting it in shallow water for ducks. Back in the eighties I worked with an old Marine who knew every dirty trick in the book.
Yep 🤣. In their defense, most guys did the outlaw stuff to put food on the table. Not saying it's right, just the way it was.

☹️ poor kid !

Ever seen one of these?

I got my first one at Disneyland in 1965 when I was ten.

Turns out the breech design is exactly like a real percussion gun, so I dumped the powder from a firecracker down the barrel, rammed down a lead sinker in a cloth patch, and promptly shot a hole in a wooden fence.

Kids had so much more fun back then… 😎

View attachment 302538
I recall them!

Back