Quantcast

Any linguists out there?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Auldjin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This is a "knee blunderbuss" that is in need of some attention. Such pieces are usually just described as "Ottoman". The engraving on the lock is not Turkish (old or new). It bears some resemblance to Cyrillic but is not Russian (old or new). Can anyone identify it?
DSCF9368.JPG
DSCF9382.JPG

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

I can't help with the translation, but with your permission I will send the lock photo to others that may be able to help.

Rick

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Your pistol dos'e strongly suggest its not just a jumble of letters that might pass for an illiterate in European writing takeing it for European work & looks a nice pistol .Good luck with your quest
Regards Rudyard

andy52

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly Berber or a variant there of. Like in the barbary pirates'.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Please pull back the cock all the way so's we can see the first 'letter'.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The closest I could find in a search of languages of the region is Bulgarian. The characters look close, though not exact, but it could be the characters on this gun are just highly stylized (much like the "Gothic" English font). I may be wrong, but it could be something to look into.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I think it's Ukrainian/Serbian, but it makes no sense....

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple responses I received which mostly confirm my own thinking. I'll elaborate further on the next post.

"The only letter that is distinguishably Cyrillic is the backward N which is equivalent to the Latin I. The lower case i and o are common to Greek and Latin miniscule."

"Hi Rick,

I'm afraid to say that is the usual nonsense . gibberish, seen on many Eastern locks."

1611507808746.png

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
TO ALL:

This area of the forum is for serious study and discussion. Please do not make "funny" posts here.

Thank You.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are a couple responses I received which mostly confirm my own thinking. I'll elaborate further on the next post.

"The only letter that is distinguishably Cyrillic is the backward N which is equivalent to the Latin I. The lower case i and o are common to Greek and Latin miniscule."

"Hi Rick,

I'm afraid to say that is the usual nonsense . gibberish, seen on many Eastern locks."
Interesting. I wonder what the purpose of such gibberish was? It's like one of us putting something like "XZikYb" on the lock of a gun we'd built. What purpose would that serve, other than to have something inscribed on the lock? Was it some kind of regional stylistic "thing" at the time perhaps? An attempt to conceal the guns true origin? Something else? 🤔