• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any linguists out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auldjin

40 Cal
Reaction score
This is a "knee blunderbuss" that is in need of some attention. Such pieces are usually just described as "Ottoman". The engraving on the lock is not Turkish (old or new). It bears some resemblance to Cyrillic but is not Russian (old or new). Can anyone identify it?
DSCF9368.JPG
DSCF9382.JPG

Your pistol dos'e strongly suggest its not just a jumble of letters that might pass for an illiterate in European writing takeing it for European work & looks a nice pistol .Good luck with your quest
Regards Rudyard

The closest I could find in a search of languages of the region is Bulgarian. The characters look close, though not exact, but it could be the characters on this gun are just highly stylized (much like the "Gothic" English font). I may be wrong, but it could be something to look into.

Here are a couple responses I received which mostly confirm my own thinking. I'll elaborate further on the next post.

"The only letter that is distinguishably Cyrillic is the backward N which is equivalent to the Latin I. The lower case i and o are common to Greek and Latin miniscule."

"Hi Rick,

I'm afraid to say that is the usual nonsense . gibberish, seen on many Eastern locks."

1611507808746.png

Here are a couple responses I received which mostly confirm my own thinking. I'll elaborate further on the next post.

"The only letter that is distinguishably Cyrillic is the backward N which is equivalent to the Latin I. The lower case i and o are common to Greek and Latin miniscule."

"Hi Rick,

I'm afraid to say that is the usual nonsense . gibberish, seen on many Eastern locks."

Interesting. I wonder what the purpose of such gibberish was? It's like one of us putting something like "XZikYb" on the lock of a gun we'd built. What purpose would that serve, other than to have something inscribed on the lock? Was it some kind of regional stylistic "thing" at the time perhaps? An attempt to conceal the guns true origin? Something else? 🤔

Back