• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any idea where I can find.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got the itch for a flintlock. I was thinking of something along the lines of a GPR, but with a full stock, .58 caliber (preferably in a 1" barrel), and browned metal. Is such a beast available without going with a custom rifle?

Don't think you'll find one like that without going custom. You might be able to get a Pedersoli Frontier (or a Cabela's Blue Ridge) in a .54, but only a 15/16" barrel. Don't think there are any .58's in less than a 1" barrel. Maybe somebody else can come up with better news, sorry.

T/C used to market the "Big Boar" in .58 but I can't remember if there was a flint version. Might stumble on one on an gun auction site or such like.

I think at one point Fox Ridge would do you a .58 Renegade in flint. Might still.

Stumpkiller said:
T/C used to market the "Big Boar" in .58 but I can't remember if there was a flint version. Might stumble on one on an gun auction site or such like.

I think at one point Fox Ridge would do you a .58 Renegade in flint. Might still.

It's been a while since I've talked to them, but I believe that they did have .58's, but they were smoothbores, not rifles.

The Pedersoli Kentucky, Pedersoli Frontier and Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle all come in Flintlock and all of them are full stocked rifles.

They don't exactly represent any rifle shape that was made in the 17 and 1800's but they will work for shooting things and they wouldn't look half bad hanging on your wall when you weren't shooting them.

Dixie Gunworks shows all three models in their catalog.

What do you plan to use it for? Does it need to be P/C or H/C? What is your price range? You may be better off with a used rifle from a reputable source like Track or on of the on-line auction houses. You'll probably have to go custom to get what you want anyway.

In short NO!
The rifle you describe, does not exist, unless you go custom, or used.
A friend of mine years ago, liked the Lyman GPR, but wanted a full stock.
Looked for some time...nothing.
So he got a Lyman .54 flint, got a nice piece of walnut, and under the guidance of Peter Alexander
turned out one of the finest rifles I have seen.
And to beat all, it was a full stock Hawken in flint.
We all know one exists, but we can't find an original...for sure.
By the way, that was the first time he ever tried to make anything with wood or metal??
Go figure!
You can do it, just try.
Old Ford

I have seen the beast, but never in a production gun.

I like them as well, and track can provide you with some real good eye candy!

Kit or Custom is the only way they are made.

you could do much worse than a kit, and then you'd have exactly what you want, and the satasfaction of knowing you made it yourself.

Track of the Wolf has 2 full stock Hawken Rifles and a Lehman in .58 as kits. Other kit suppliers most likely do also. If you are not able to make a rifle from a kit, there are lots of folks on this forum who do beautiful work who might just make a deal with you.

Bountyhunter is right. Track of the Wolf is the only place that offers a kit in a full stock, flintlock Hawkens in .58 cal. with a 1" barrel. Otherwise, you can settle for a .54 GPR flint kit and brown the metal as you build. I have one and it's a great shooter. Check out the prices at Midsouth Shooters: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ . Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Stith offers a full stock parts set, but I think the barrel is a little heavier than an inch--not a bad idea in a .58 caliber rifle. First quality stuff though.

BV said:
I've got the itch for a flintlock. I was thinking of something along the lines of a GPR, but with a full stock, .58 caliber (preferably in a 1" barrel), and browned metal. Is such a beast available without going with a custom rifle?

Check the usual auction sites. I saw one yesterday. No dogs in this fight.

Duane

That's an important point. The tapered barrel has a very beneficial effect on handling and carrying. Definitely a feature worth having.

Back