• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any idea of when this was made?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally had some good weather to take some photos of a single shot .12 gauge I have. Anybody have a wild guess about when it might have been made.
Shotgun1.jpg

Lock.jpg

Triggerguard.jpg

The Doc is out now. :v

PS, range report in "IT'S ALIVE" thread.

Mike, you're probably right but with the thought that no gun is any earlier than it's latest original detail,the cock screw seems rather new and the nipple and possibly the drum seem to be replaced.I'm also not sure that a gun like this would have a rounded cock.As to the place of manufacture I suppose that Belgium would be as good as any although if so there should be that EIG mark found on late Belgian guns often impressed in the wood on the opposite side.
Just some random thoughts.
Tom Patton

No marks other than two crown proofs under the barrel with no lettering under them. A four-digit serial number(?) is also under the barrel an inch or so behind where the octagonal meets round.

No, Keb, this is not a new gun. I got it about 1972 or so when I was a teenager from a fellow who wanted to see if I could restore it any. I did what I could, but I did not have the resources to make a new tumbler, so it sat in a corner for years until this last year when a friend took it, made a new tumbler, broke the mainspring and made a new one and gave it back before he broke something else :wink: ).

There are no other markings on it. The engraving that is there on the side plate and the trigger guard appear very worn. When I got it, the gun was rusted inside and out. I cleaned the barrel, browned it, and did what I knew at the time to do with the wood.

I thought I would put the question here to see if any of the knowlegeable ones could shed some light on this gun's origin.

How long is the tang on the butt plate?
How about the standing breech?
How about engraving on the lock & other iron parts?
What other parts have been replaced?
How much engraving did you "clean" away when you fixed it up?

Just from the pictures I'd say 1880's - 1900.

I have a 10 double with many of the same looking parts. It's supposedly from 1880's.

Doc,
I'm going to say that the gun is probably vintage 1880's from England. The hammer does not appear to be the correct, original, hammer or screw. The nipple is obviously a replacement but the "drum" is a snail and unless the breach has been replaced it is the original. Nice old gun, I've had several like it and a few have made decent shooters.
Mark

Mike, I agree with you. The trigger guard style and of course the back action lock tells some real time related signs. I seriously doubt if it is English, the style just doesn't fit it. But, regardless, there is nothing wrong with a Belgium gun, if it was well made.

I tried to be as 'gentle' as possible when cleaning it. I did not want to get rid of the engraving that was there. As I said, when I got it, there wasn't much there.

The ramrod is just a hardwood dowel I got for it, the nipple is a replacement since there was no nipple when I got it. The drum is original. I tried to break open the breach from barrel when I first got it. Even got one of those DIXIE breach wrenches when I started work on it.

Ah crud. I have a dinner tomorrow night, cattle call in the morning, and I have to make a dish for the dinner. While it's cooking, I will try to get a photo of the proof marks. I was thinking I could get the photo done tomorrow night, but the club I belong to is having its' pistol league award dinner. So much for that plan. Tomorrow afternoon it will have to be. Stay tuned!

Hi Doc, some features look familiar to a rifle I picked up from a pawn shop recently. No markings whatsoever except "H.PIEPER.Bte" stamped into the back action lock. Research has shown (Google) that he,H.Pieper, made several models of shotguns, Belgian by the way, 1860 to 1906 when he passed on. Although his company carried on for some time after his death.

Back