• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

any Hoosiers out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldJoe212

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I might be moving to Indiana in a few months and I saw that it's OK to hunt from a canoe. Since I make cedar stip canoes, this sounds great. My question is can small games be hunted with a ML rifle and what's the size limit for small game, squirrels and rabbits? I saw that a min. size for deer is .44, but I never saw anything on small game. I would like to go with a .40 flint until I can put together a .32. I have the barrel and lock and I don't want to have to rush to get it together.

Indiana is pretty open regarding small game and predators. Deer, migratory game birds, etc. do have various technical rules. You can download the regs from the Indiana DNR website.

Welcome to Indiana!

Maybe become a "screener" make a rough frame up from your center thwart to hang a screen of vegetation sufficient to hide you. Now learn to propel the canoe using a sculling motion so that the paddle stays in the water and no movment is betrayed. bow wake must be about zero and no wobble at all. Dead slow and sneaky.

Propelled this way you will be able to stalk well with in range of waterfowl. I have also gotten with in bow range of moose and deer at the shore.

I use a specialty boat for this type of hunting but have also had success with a FG canoe and a dory so set up.

There are also guys who can lean the canoe over far enough so that the bottom is presented toward your quarry and the boat is propeled sideways.

If you are interested in learning about these old techniques PM and I can send you some more info.
I am completely addicted to it. I now value my oars/paddles more then my guns cause they do 99% of the work and the gun just ends the fun.

If you try this pretty soon you will be building a decked 16 foot canvas canoe with a full length skeg and a transom. A hole in the transom at the waterline will have a long oar stuck out it and you will lie down on the sole of the canoe. Pretty soon you will be adding rocks for ballast and cutting down the shear to get a lower profile. Soon after that you will forego all other hunting, recreation and a goodly amount of worktime, meals and responsibilites. Very addictive.

Back