• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique preservation...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas77

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently added an original 1858 New Model Army to my collection. Serial number is 1409XX. Anyone have information about this model and when it was made?

I was wondering what the best method would be to keep it's current condition unchanged - it has the original finish with a nice brown patina (no bluing) with zero pitting anywhere.

It's quite humid where I live. I have applied light coats of Hoppes #9 gun oil. Would Ballistol be a good choice for long-term storage? I've heard it's also good for presrerving wookd for the grips. Any info appreciated.

There's good evidence, from museums, that microcrystalline wax (Renaissance Wax, etc) is the best for protection - except from handling. If you plan to use it often, keep it oiled; if you plan to let it sit, wax it.

One thing about the wax is that it can go on all of it - wood and metal.

It's post Civil War. Can't give you an exact date, the last number recorded for CW use is 134062.
Silica gel packs will keep it dry.

Squire Robin said:
Can you do a date for 59132 :thumbsup:

From what I have, it was manufactured between 1863 and 1875.

What's interesting is that this number falls into the 50,000 thru 72,000 range. Look on the left side of the barrel and seeif you see NJ stamped there. If so, then you have a New Jersey State Militia piece.

Is there any cartouche on the grips?

CP

Latest posts

Back