• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Unusual Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bismuth shot wouldn't harm you barrel, would it?
This is a fowling gun mostly for geese I do not think bismuth would damage the barrel but it has not a killing power of lead and steel will certainly damage a barrel this I have found in guns that I have restored I will enter another follow up on this type of ignition at a later date
Feltwad

Great stuff.
I'm wondering why it didn't expand further in popularity. To my mind this seems vastly superior to the standard percussion cap.
I expect because . The tubes are longer than a cap and use more materials and probably more expensive and slower to make, cant be easily used in capping device and take a lot more fiddling about to get it fitted correctly . Major developments in firearms then as now were largely developed for the military and a pouch of top hat caps were easier to use . The danger of the tube blowing out and injuring someone was very real , even with protective shields , The tube lock was an easy conversion from a flintlock which gave it momentary popularity . In the end it was just a part of the development and evolution of firearm ignition , which still goes on to day . Read : Early Percussion Firearms by Lewis Winant . I got mine secondhand off the net, it cost more in shipping than it did to buy ,

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. Firearm technology advanced pretty quickly from the 1820s to 1860s, and this is one of probably several novel ignition methods that didn't make the final cut (although it may have been a step along the way.)

I had sent in a post with pics pertaining to tube locks &' devolveing flint to cap & reverting again but its in the post re an old gun querry with Broken nock . Cut finger makes sound observations but in a wet conditions hunting rifle it had merit . & Austria adopted the tube lock for its army .
Regards Rudyard

I expect because . The tubes are longer than a cap and use more materials and probably more expensive and slower to make, cant be easily used in capping device and take a lot more fiddling about to get it fitted correctly . Major developments in firearms then as now were largely developed for the military and a pouch of top hat caps were easier to use . The danger of the tube blowing out and injuring someone was very real , even with protective shields , The tube lock was an easy conversion from a flintlock which gave it momentary popularity . In the end it was just a part of the development and evolution of firearm ignition , which still goes on to day . Read : Early Percussion Firearms by Lewis Winant . I got mine secondhand off the net, it cost more in shipping than it did to buy ,
Most of the UK makers of tube locks was mainly for sporting guns and rifles not forgetting live pigeon shooting from traps , the tube lock was well known with makers but was held back by Forsythe who brought a court case against any one who used a compound similar has used in his sent bottle lock this held of many makers Manton continued to use it which was one of the main reasons he went bankrupt Before it became well known the tube lock along with the patch lock and other types had lost favour to the copper percussion cap but some still prefer the tube lock and it was made till the end of the percussion era
Feltwad
Live Pigeon Shoot
P1010004.JPG

Good summary Felt Wad. I thought Manton went broke due in part his battles with Forsythe & bad book depts . ( There was a Manton & Co gun shop in Calcutta & an N C Daw. I bought flasks & moulds from them in 1969 old stock but that's irrelavant to the post ) .I did sent a post shewing my experiments with makeing tube locks and altering flint to cap at will .Per Col Hawkers mentions useing L&R Late English locks , but sending pics is troublesome might try again for this post later ' Kit Ravenshear use to tinker with' Devolveing' locks Flint to cap at will .
Regards Rudyard

Good summary Felt Wad. I thought Manton went broke due in part his battles with Forsythe & bad book depts . ( There was a Manton & Co gun shop in Calcutta & an N C Daw. I bought flasks & moulds from them in 1969 old stock but that's irrelavant to the post ) .I did sent a post shewing my experiments with makeing tube locks and altering flint to cap at will .Per Col Hawkers mentions useing L&R Late English locks , but sending pics is troublesome might try again for this post later ' Kit Ravenshear use to tinker with' Devolveing' locks Flint to cap at will .
Regards Rudyard
Yes I remember Kit Ravenshaw when he worked for Normans Of Framlingham UK that would be in the 1960s I did buy from him before he moved to the States older members of the Forums may well remember him I understand that he is now no longer with us .
Feltwad
100_1041.JPG

100_2211.JPG

Shop
100_2218.JPG

Enclosed is a image of another unusual gun or should I say ignition a 6 bore tube lock fowler by Alfred Clayton ,although the tube was a early type on ignition mostly by Manton of the 1800-10 period this gun was built in the 1850,s mainly because some fowlers preferred the tube lock in weather conditions .Alfred Clayton along with Joseph Manton were the gun makers for Col Peter Hawker and mentioned in his dairies
Several gun makers built tube locks but not in a vast quantity and not many would have crossed the pond if any. This gun was used in the fowling season but when lead shot was banned for wild fowling shooting and to save this rare gun from barrel damage using steel shot it is now pensioned off.
Feltwad
6 bore tube lock
View attachment 109963
Lock Clos Up
View attachment 109965

Tubes
View attachment 109966
Tube Holder
View attachment 109967
I'd be tempted to have it converted to regular percussion! Just sayin'. Very interesting.

Dear Feltwad .Kit didn't work for Normans of Framlingham he was the owner he bought an old name & his shop was near or in the Castle I bought my first rifled barrel A Delcur 1" 40 cal oct all he had. My first rifle being a Jager looking affair after the ' Grice rifle' in Blackmore's book shot ball indifferent at 100 yards but a linen patched picket style bullet shot like a 451. Used it years it ended up on a Cattle Station Nr Surat & got deemed a' firearm 'by anti Gun QLD Govt . So got flicked of for 150 $ to Searles of Brisbane. Ide like to know where it went , two part beech stock with dragon side plate & added cheek piece, bears on the breech as proof marks . Kit went to Canada then to some Coal mine Museum in Pennsilvainia ( His family once owned coal mines ) Then set up as gun maker restorer & even took pupils' live in' . I had dealings with Kit & stayed up by Frackville even assembled the odd lock & strangley when he died in Monty Carlo (Allways did have style our Kit !) his ashes where fired over his land in PA from a canon .But his parts went to the ex pupil who was a restorer , & I bought them all when he packed up. Amongst the parts was a Ketland lock looked familier & sure enough a misicule my initials were stamped inside the plate . He could be testy He once told me" Don't fly your flag off my flag", As we both made military arms . 'I made the 1776 Tower Rifle before he made any but he never mentioned me in his article 'My expeiriences with the 1776 Tower rifle ' . But I had firmly my own flag and produced better finnished work but that's by the by. He certainly was a charecter .

Regards Rudyard (Or some other bloke then!)

Last edited:
Dear Feltwad .Kit didn't work for Normans of Framlingham he was the owner he bought an old name & his shop was near or in the Castle I bought my first rifled barrel A Delcur 1" 40 cal oct all he had. My first rifle being a Jager looking affair after the ' Grice rifle' in Blackmore's book shot ball indifferent at 100 yards but a linen patched picket style bullet shot like a 451. Used it years it ended up on a Cattle Station Nr Surat & got deemed a' firearm 'by anti Gun QLD Govt . So got flicked of for 150 $ to Searles of Brisbane. Ide like to know where it went , two part beech stock with dragon side plate & added cheek piece, bears on the breech as proof marks . Kit went to Canada then to some Coal mine Museum in Pennsilvainia ( His family once owned coal mines ) Then set up as gun maker restorer & even took pupils' live in' . I had dealings with Kit & stayed up by Frackville even assembled the odd lock & strangley when he died in Monty Carlo (Allways did have style our Kit !) his ashes where fired over his land in PA from a canon .But his parts went to the ex pupil who was a restorer , & I bought them all when he packed up. Amongst the parts was a Ketland lock looked familier & sure enough a misicule my initials were stamped inside the plate . He could be testy He once told me" Don't fly your flag off my flag", As we both made military arms . 'I made the 1776 Tower Rifle before he made any but he never mentioned me in his article 'My expeiriences with the 1776 Tower rifle ' . But I had firmly my own flag and produced better finnished work but that's by the by. He certainly was a charecter .

Regards Rudyard (Or some other bloke then!)
Well Rudyard for over 60years I have always understood that Kit worked for Normans thanks for putting me right I have learned something that I did not Know
Feltwad

Yes he went in with' Coach Harness' Sandy Macnab who kept the name but sold out & went to play Shakespeare at Stratford .on Avon .

"This story shall good men teach his son, That Crispin Crispian shall nere go by from this day to the ending of the world that we in it shall be rememberered .
We few We happy few ,We band of brothers , For he who sheds his blood with me this day shall Be my brother ,Be he nare so vile. This day shall gentle his condition! & gentlemen in England now abed shall think them selves accursed and hold their man hood cheap when any speaks that fought with us on This St Crispins day!."

Shakespeare's Henry the 5th at Agincourt Just threw it in seemed fitting , Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Back