• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Unusual Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Rudyard for over 60years I have always understood that Kit worked for Normans thanks for putting me right I have learned something that I did not Know
Feltwad
I remember he published a series of booklets about various muzzle-loading processes, wood-work, barrels etc. I have a few that I've picked up over the years and last I heard they were available from Track of the Wolf or direct from his Widow. They make interesting reading... Very nostalgic!

Yes he went in with' Coach Harness' Sandy Macnab who kept the name but sold out & went to play Shakespeare at Stratford .on Avon .

"This story shall good men teach his son, That Crispin Crispian shall nere go by from this day to the ending of the world that we in it shall be rememberered .
We few We happy few ,We band of brothers , For he who sheds his blood with me this day shall Be my brother ,Be he nare so vile. This day shall gentle his condition! & gentlemen in England now abed shall think them selves accursed and hold their man hood cheap when any speaks that fought with us on This St Crispins day!."

Shakespeare's Henry the 5th at Agincourt Just threw it in seemed fitting , Regards Rudyard
Coach Harness, now there's a name to conjure with! I remember their catalogue and also spending large slices of my wages there!

Yes he went in with' Coach Harness' Sandy Macnab who kept the name but sold out & went to play Shakespeare at Stratford .on Avon .

I bought my first black powder revolver from Sandy McNab - an ASM Colt's 3rd Model Dragoon by ASM. He threw into the deal a few tins of caps, as well, but left me to find my own powder as I had forgotten to take my BPL with me. While I was in the tiny store he let me fondle one of his lovely Brown Bess replications - way outside my price-range back then. Somewhere I still have one of his catalogues.

look at the size of the gun over head! is it one of them PUNT GUNS? if so what does PUNT stand for?
Dear Toot the' Punt 'is the shallow draft boat you fasten the gun into then paddle or drift up to a flock of ducks or geese line it up and in some cases fire a little popping pistol so the birds all rise so the punt gun sythes the flying mass .Then its all down to some cripple stopper normal shotgun to finish any cripples . Not that Ive done it Felt Wad probably has But Ime going off Col Hawkers accounts'' Instructions to young sportsmen ' he was a 19c shooting Gentleman (Didn't have to work) Particularly fond of Wildfowling .Much could be written about him but he wrote many Editions of his books & his Diaries have been published ..
. Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
I bought my first black powder revolver from Sandy McNab - an ASM Colt's 3rd Model Dragoon by ASM. He threw into the deal a few tins of caps, as well, but left me to find my own powder as I had forgotten to take my BPL with me. While I was in the tiny store he let me fondle one of his lovely Brown Bess replications - way outside my price-range back then. Somewhere I still have one of his catalogues.
Do You remembers these
Feltwad
P1130171.JPG

The attired group or similar was in the' Guns Review' cover once . I never bought from Mc Nabb.s & only the barrel from Kit ,But knew him better when in the US he used to wheel in a sort of costermongers cart with a rack of guns at such as Fort Niagara Or similar event didn't bother to wheel it back to camp just coverered it over with a tarp & left them out . Kit was Kit .
Regards Rudyard

When I was 14 there was a gunshop down the road from school with a lot of interesting guns including 3 punt guns stood up in a corner and punt gun barrels all around the floor behind the gun racks .The owner was a nice guy who tolerated enthusiastic school boys. He told me all about them and I asked if he would sell me one , he said he would give me a barrel if I could pick it up . Not a hope in hades I nearly ruptured myself trying but no go . 33 years later I met him at a gun show and asked about the punt guns when he closed his shop , no one would buy them so they went for scrap . In the USA punt gunners shot ducks commercially on the Chesapeake and other lakes and ponds , they almost , but not quite, wiped out the Canvasback duck . The only bird I could shoot with a punt gun here in New Zealand is the large Canada Goose which is a pest bird and can be shot with anything any where.

look at the size of the gun over head! is it one of them PUNT GUNS? if so what does PUNT stand for?
As far as I know, a PUNT is a small boat. It was used when they used to do market hunting for waterfowl. They would lay it in a carved out section in the bow of the boat and steadily scull up to a raft of ducks on the water and then let it rip. It would kill lots of waterfowl and was eventually outlawed.

As far as I know, a PUNT is a small boat. It was used when they used to do market hunting for waterfowl. They would lay it in a carved out section in the bow of the boat and steadily scull up to a raft of ducks on the water and then let it rip. It would kill lots of waterfowl and was eventually outlawed.
Feltwad, I googled is puntgunning illegal in the UK and it appears that there are some still doing it.
Barrels are limited to a bore no greater than 1&7/8" now rendering some original guns defunct.

The punt gun in the image is one I am moving on and is entered in Holts Sealed bid sale UK closing date 6th January 2022 Lot 2062A
Feltwad
100_4283.JPG

Do You remembers these
Feltwad
View attachment 110772
I remember them well Feltwad also meeting up with old friend Sandy on the M25 and motoring down to Paris in 1976 for a World Champs. at Versailles. I provided the the Wheels, he bought the petrol. Long gone but was a Gentleman and Great company who knew his way around,. We met up with the late Val. as well.. Fun times.. OLD DOG..

Last edited:

The punt gun was very useful when red meat was an expensive luxury for most people, but was most useful during WW1 and 2 when meat of all kinds was rationed. Even I remember meat and clothing rationing after WW2 - up until around 1955, I recall.

Not quite. The punter would actually lie down in or on the punt, and paddle with wooden flippers on his hands. At the right moment he would bang the side of the punt with one hand, starting the birds into the air, and THEN cut loose with the gun - assuring a larger bag that floating wildfowl.

Not quite. The punter would actually lie down in or on the punt, and paddle with wooden flippers on his hands. At the right moment he would bang the side of the punt with one hand, starting the birds into the air, and THEN cut loose with the gun - assuring a larger bag that floating wildfowl.
Enclosed is a image of firing a punt gun by a friend
Feltwad
100_2733.JPG

Feltwad, I googled is puntgunning illegal in the UK and it appears that there are some still doing it.
Barrels are limited to a bore no greater than 1&7/8" now rendering some original guns defunct.
I am amazed that it is still done in the UK. Is there no limits on a daily take as we have here? Where I live (Long Island, NY) market hunting was done a lot I guess til around 1920s, the ducks then were sold in NYC. Hunters back then used another thing which is illegal now I guess, called a sink box. Think of a 5' square box 4' deep that was like a boat, only you had only a few inches of free board. So you were just about level with the water in the bay, talk about dangerous. I have a vintage decoy that Teddy Roosevelt probably shot over as it came from one of the club estates he used each waterfowl season. I grew up hunting ducks and geese and of all I've taken before and after the one I remember most is the first one I took with a ML with toilet paper wadding in 1970.

Latest posts

Back