• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A unusual Fowling Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many punt guns were used out on the Delmarva Peninsula of the US, back in the day. There is a very poor specimen on display at the Chincoteague Museum in Chincoteague VA. The barrel appears to have been welded out of several pieces including a length of iron pipe. Certainly nothing I would shoot. A local decoy maker's shop has been moved to the museum grounds. There wasn't much in the way of tools that he used. There were several reknown decoy carvers on the island. One of them appeared in his shop in a bit part in the Movie "Misty of Chincoteague"

Feltwad, you mentioned your conclusion that this gun had a second, shorter, barrel for live pigeon shooting. Would this also have been a 7 bore?

Feltwad, you mentioned your conclusion that this gun had a second, shorter, barrel for live pigeon shooting. Would this also have been a 7 bore?
Correct but a lot shorter barrel 32 to 36 inches it might have been a 7 or 6 or even a 4 bore has pigeon guns were made in sizes from a 4 to 12
Feltwad

How would you like to lug something like this around all day.... 🤣 View attachment 138915
that picture is simply amazing!! one that OI have never seen before? I always wonder that they are pictured & carried by older gentleman? and all seem to not be doubled barreled guns? DUH! I think I can figure it out!!!!

When I came to these forums was to exchange my knowledge in the history of the gun and its different ignitions This was enjoyed by some who had never heard or seen of most especially the early patents but there was some that did not like it with their remarks and accusations
What I have to say is this will be my last thread for a long time I am taking a long break to decide if I return because of recent untruth accusations pointed at me .
Feltwad

I have a friend in SA where they still build them,and they use them on limited basic.

Back