• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Thanksgiving Deer Harvest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my third deer this morning and the first for Fearnaught. I almost didn't go out this morning. I am getting over a cold and my trainer decided all my muscles needed to be sore going in to Thanksgiving.

I finally got myself out of bed and had a cup of coffee with my Father before heading out to the woods well after sunrise. I walked down a cow pasture to where I wanted to still-hunt in the woods. A ballsy squirrel on the edge of the field decided to call me out before I jumped the fence in to the woods. I stood just 3 feet underneath the branch he was sitting on. That squirrel just looked me in the eyes and barked away. It gave me a chuckle.

I found my entry point and started in to the woods, only moving when the wind blew. I was only in the woods for 15 minutes, and maybe moved less than 10 yards when some movement caught my eye. A buck was making his way down a trail towards me. I was in some really thick stuff at the edge of the field. The deer made his way to within about 12 yards to where I was standing. It was time to make my shot, but the deer would dissapear in to the thorns and grass when I lost my depth perception by closing my left eye. I decided to shoot with both eyes open. I let loose a .440 ball over 70gr of 3F and the deer dropped to the ground. I looked down at my rifle and thought, "Holy Cow." This is my first deer with a .45 and I didn't expect that. It became apparent fairly soon that I spine shot him. I reloaded with my target measure that was hanging off my bag and my easy loading .437 balls over 52gr of 3F. I approached the deer and he stood up on his front knees and snorted at me. I put the ball in to his chest and that was that.

Upon gutting the deer, I found that neither ball exited. The first shot is most likely under the far-side shoulder blade. I found the heart-shot ball flattened out to the size of a dime.

I'm happy to have another Thanksgiving Harvest. It's a great way to start out a Holiday Weekend.

1479161_10202648730842372_810546228_n_zpscb8deda6.jpg

Congrats on a successful hunt from a fellow Hoosier located just west of you in Westfield. I made it to the woods around 7:30 a.m. today. Wind and squirrels was it for me this time.
Cheers,
Sean

Excellent, Trench. I predict you and Fearnaught are going to be good friends.

Spence

Congratulations!

:hatsoff:

This sounds like a wonderful hunting experience.
I am glad you took me along for a couple of minutes.

Silex

Any deer with a traditional flintlock is a deer worth giving thanks for. Especially on Thanksgiving day.

PJC

Good for you Trench! Always like reading your stories and imput. Hope you have more to follow with your pretty rifle. Dan.

Back