• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another ML roebuck from GE!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from GE!

Went out this morning to a treeseat at a clearing with thicking around. Three days ago I saw there 2 bucks and a female yearling, but couldn't get them, because to fast or behind bushes. But today at 5:50 a.m. one buck came out at a distance of about 80 meters. Took my deerhunter, aimed shortly and let the bulet fly. The buck made a short run in the thicking. At the hitting point there were many blood from the lounges, so I was sure he was deadly it. Following the trail in the thicking I found the buck after 30 meters. The bullet, a .50 370 grs maxiball went right through the lounges and exit at the brest. Charge was 90 grs WANO PP. Please excuse the optic sight, but in natural german forests it is not so easy to get a roe with an open sight, because vegetation is high and roes are small.

So here he is:
[url] http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/Kirrmeister/PICT0075.jpg[/url]
[url] http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/Kirrmeister/PICT0076.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Kirrmeister!
That looks like a good sized one too.How long before you will skin and Butcher it?

ATTA BOY KIRR! Congrats! :thumbsup: :applause: (practicin "bye" shootin is we?) good ta hear a story this time of year! thanks fer sharin! RC :hatsoff:

Halftail said:
Congrats Kirrmeister!
That looks like a good sized one too.How long before you will skin and Butcher it?

The weight fielddressed is 18 kg=39.7 lbs.
Let him hang one night, then he will be skinned and delievered to a restaurant.

Great shooting Kerrmeister, congratulations :thumbsup: I wouldnt worry about the fibre optic sight either, if it helps give you a good sight picture and prevent wounding theres nothing wrong with that!

Kirrmeister--Nice shooting! That is a textbook example of bullet placement. Congratulations.

Kirrmeister: Congratulations. Any game taken with a ML is a trophy. I knew these animals were small, but that is small. You would find our midwest White tails to be monsters by comparison. I don't think you need that 370 grain conical on the next Roe. Use a PRB, and a reasonable load. Its more than enough to completely penetrate a deer that size, and you will actually see a faster kill with the same placement of your PRB.

Don't mind the optics, either. In early dawn or late evening shooting, its often the only way you can see your deer in heavy cover, and find a clear shot. It is a great advantage in making sure of the background behind your target, and for placing the ball or bullet accurately.

Congrats! Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

I have to admit I know pretty much nothing of these Roe deer. I'm curious as this is the middle of June and our Whitetails have/are having babys here, is the rut for Roe deer now which would be much earlier than our deer? Strange how that would happen as we are in the summer months now.

Way to go Dirk! Great shooting :thumbsup:
We are looking foward to raising a glass (or 2) with you next year.

paulvallandigham said:
Kirrmeister: Congratulations. Any game taken with a ML is a trophy. I knew these animals were small, but that is small. You would find our midwest White tails to be monsters by comparison. I don't think you need that 370 grain conical on the next Roe. Use a PRB, and a reasonable load. Its more than enough to completely penetrate a deer that size, and you will actually see a faster kill with the same placement of your PRB.

Don't mind the optics, either. In early dawn or late evening shooting, its often the only way you can see your deer in heavy cover, and find a clear shot. It is a great advantage in making sure of the background behind your target, and for placing the ball or bullet accurately.

Hello Paul,

thanks for the wishes.
I know that this maxiball is pretty heavy for a roe. But while I'm new in the ML hunting branch I have not that much expiriences. So I want to try several bullets and loads. My goal is certainly to hunt as traditional as possible and therefore using PRB's and my new Investarm/Lyman flinter which know ignites very well. Another cause for using a maxiball was that I'm running out of RB's for the moment. Have to cast some balls.I think for the future I will reduce the load to 75 or 70 grs WANO PP and a PRB.

Swamp Rat said:
Congrats! Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

I have to admit I know pretty much nothing of these Roe deer. I'm curious as this is the middle of June and our Whitetails have/are having babys here, is the rut for Roe deer now which would be much earlier than our deer? Strange how that would happen as we are in the summer months now.

The roe does have also fawns now, but they have no season. In Germany the seasons are various for the several deers. It starts in may with roebucks and female yearlings and in September with the does and grown up fawns (GE:Kitz). As a hunter you have to take care especially when hunting at female yearlings not to kill a doe. So before shooting always have a look between the rear legs if there is a udder. :thumbsup:

gees Kirr, I'mREALLY tryin to let that go...that's way tooo easy! boy lookin fer horns sometimes is a problem but lookin...nevermind! :rotf: RC

RC,

now you know why it is so difficult to get a german hunting licence. You must be a good udderwatcher :rotf:

:bow: .... :shocked2: ..... :rotf: ! wait'll ya get the states next fall...you'll be able to sit up straight an watch fer HORNS! :applause: RC

When I'm able to see those little roe antlers then I think I'll see those big whitetailantlers, too. :thumbsup:

:haha: I knew it, just knew it. When he said,
So before shooting always have a look between the rear legs if there is a udder.

I got a bad picture of RC walking around lifting tails. :rotf:

Just knew you wouldn't let that one go RC! :rotf:

Hey folks !

whats wrong? Perhaps udder is the wrong word, but you know certainly what I mean. In GE it is very undeerlike to shoot a doe which leads a fawn, calth, kitz or whatever it is named, simply a young new born deer. :shake:

Back