• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ANOTHER BRAS FLASK QUESTION

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridafialafan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the second of four flasks I would like some help in identifying. I'm still awaiting info from a couple of possible makers on that first one.

This is a very small (3 1/4" long), very ornate and graceful, round brass flask with simply a capped spout, and it is filled with caps. Might possibly have also been used for shot, using the cap as a measure, but it would not have held many loads.

Back side is plain with nice concentric rings around perimeter, and seems are good and tight. No really bad dents or scratches of any kind.

It has NO markings I can find. I do NOT have the Riling book for identification as these will probably be the ONLY flasks I'll ever own in what time I have left.

Any help in identifying this little gem, and estimating its value, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

SMALLROUNDCAPPER001_edited.jpg

I did a quick flip-through of Riling's book and didn't see your particular flask. My feeling is that it is a small pistol flask. There is a similar flask although oval shaped, described as a "simple holder of powder with friction or sliding cover cap" on page 67, showing a cased pair of Belgian muff pistols and accessories. Can't help with the value but would suspect it to be upwards of $100.

Many thanks for the info, mazo kid. I think I erred on the title of this thread. I now believe it's a COPPER body, with brass spout and cap. :redface:

Your description certainly sounds like exactly how THIS one could be described. It MAYBE could hold two or three powder loads for a six-shot .31 or .36cal, which would be the more common smaller pocket revolvers of the era.

It's a heavy, well-built little beast and there's LITTLE that can go wrong with it. Looking more closely at the rounded-point where the two sides meet, it doesn't eppear to have EVER had any seams to split! If it IS soldered or welded in any way, the craftsman certainly did an excellent job! It looks almost like a molded one-piece.

Very surprised Riling's book didn't have it.

Thanks again, best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Gotta' get that third flask ready to present to you folks for info. It too is very small, but has the measuring spout.

FFF, I went through the book a little more slowly and while I still didn't find your flask, I think it could be a Sykes as that maker did use the "beading" around the edge of some flasks. There are some illustrations from an early catalog and they show plain flasks with beading around the outer edges. It could be early 1800s as after about 1814, they used the patent top flasks. The first flasks made by Sykes were of the "slip cap" or "loose charger" type. I think they were probably used for small, single shot pistols, and the cap was the powder measure. Prices in the book range from $10-$36. Of course this book is 26 years old now! Keep in mind that I am certainly no expert and that these are my conclusions after reading some on the subject.

Thanks again for your efforts, mazo kid! Much appreciated. Your comments show you put some thought to this little guy. I'm beginning to think that when they sold off this person's collection they took those items they could NOT quickly identify and stuck them in a batch by themselves. Suppose??? :surrender:

The "slip cap" style would explain it not having a charging spout. Makes sense, and it would have been earlier. You say 1814 before that charger spout came about. Sounds about right.

I know Riling's book is old, but nowadays you can't go buy the "price guide" books if they're even ONE year old! Prices are going insane on collectibles. We need to just ignore old prices printed and use those books for reference.

Next flask I'm gonna' show is pretty simple, and I believe, a pretty common design. I've seen it on many flasks. THIS IS SMALL! Very petite. Mighta' been for some lady's hideaway pistol... :wink:

Thanks again, best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Back