• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Antique......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Appalachian

Feral American
Reaction score
Added another antique to my shop today.
Screenshot_20221219_154421_Gallery.jpg

Neat piece. Vice? What function does it serve? Is it made for a specific task?

Looks too unstable to sit on the ground while sawing or filing pressure is applied to whatever is in the jaws.

I'm always fascinated by the adage, "Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention".

Neat piece. Vice? What function does it serve? Is it made for a specific task?

Looks too unstable to sit on the ground while sawing or filing pressure is applied to whatever is in the jaws.

I'm always fascinated by the adage, "Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention".
Youtube and Google "blacksmithing post vise" or "leg vise". All kinds of information to look at.

So it stands up vertically and gets bolted to a bench or log.

Makes much more sense after looking at pictures online.

Thanks.
Yep.

I wanted it for working hot metal that really wouldn't be efficient or effective to work on my anvil.

A regular cast bench vise could shatter if struck wrongly with a hammer. The post vice is a long time part of a blacksmith shop.

Besides, it's older than dirt and I love working with antique tools.....

That's one heck of a vise and one type I've never seen. Great find.
Thanks, got lucky finding it, and the price on it. Actually found it back when I bought my anvil, and the guy still had this when I contacted him Saturday.

Picture is from a member of Hershal House's FB page. It's how I'll set this one up, very similar. I think I'll go saw out a chunk of oak log though, for my post.

Screenshot_20221219_230612_Samsung Internet.jpg

a rely nice blacksmith vise. I have been a blacksmith for over 30 yrs.
I've been a lot of other things for over 40 years of my working career but not a blacksmith. Something I've always wanted to do and never did. It will be part of my working retirement among some of those other things I've done. Got about 8 years left to aquire my tools, set up my shop, and learn a few new tricks.

This vise is old, and really rusty. It might be missing some parts for the box, or has been rigged up to work. It does thread in and out. I really haven't looked very close at that yet.
The leg is bent and looks like it may have spent decades U-bolted to something. The handle is too small and sloppy for the eye in the screw also. I might make a larger diameter handle or just bush the eye. I'm just happy the spring is there, intact, and in good shape. And I'm happy it hasn't been hammered to death on the jaws.

I'm going to take it all apart, clean it really good, and see what I need to do to it. Would love to know it's history. It came from a picker I know up in Beckley WVA and he didn't have any info on it.

Last edited:
Nice, a good vice is a joy to work with. I have a largish Colombian I am particularly fond of. I bought it at our local large flea market 30+ years ago. It was bolted on the corner of a steel desk that was covered with a piece of steel plate making a pretty sturdy and handy bench. I paid $60 for the whole setup. One of my better tool purchases to be sure.

Back