• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An example of superstition in the old days..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bob308 said:
ever see a pa. rifle with a fish inlay? or one with 7 groove rifling ? both were done for luck.

my swedish farmermade "lodbössa" has a 7 groove rifling, so yeah.

bob308 said:
ever see a pa. rifle with a fish inlay? or one with 7 groove rifling ? both were done for luck.

The fish is a Christian symbol and is seen often on custom rifles.
Here is what the builder did on my Jaeger.
fishinlayonJaeger.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Huh, looks fairly simple to do, i should try and do some more brass ornaments in the future.

Thank you for your time and effort, it seems the original owner was a just man, perhaps one who would stand his ground or the ground of those whom could not, ready to face the evil that may assault him. Fully realizing that he may suffer terribly in the face of his enemy and preparing to face god. The world I hope in his time was a bit better than it is now, and may he led a just life and lived to an old age.- R.C. an APPALICHIAN HUNTER

That's a really neat discovery. I can relate to it. I have Bible verses on brass wrist inlays on two of my flintlocks. On my Virginia rifle I have Psalm 144:1, and on my Lancaster rifle I have Luke 11:21.

R.C.

I really like your sentiment. The problems of the world change names and places but in the end they are the same then and now. I hope that if I am tested that I will have the kind of courage to meet my maker with the grace you showed in this topic. But I really hope to live to a ripe old age.

One of the earliest writings that the Church possesses regarding the use of the fish as a Christian symbol comes from Clement of Alexandria.
It was also during this time period that the Christians underwent great persecution from the Roman Empire. In order to distinguish friend from foe, meeting places were often marked with the symbol of the fish so that other Christians knew that it was a safe place for them to meet. Tradition also tells us that when a Christian met someone in a public place they would often draw the top arch of the fish in the dirt and wait for the other person to draw the second arch, showing themselves to also be a Christian.

Now, the question that remains: why use a fish as a Christian symbol?

There are different beliefs as to the origin of the fish as a Christian symbol. Some obvious examples would be that of the multiplication of the loaves and fishes or Christ calling Apostles the fishers of men. A lesser-known explanation may be a result of the Emperor Domitian. During his reign, Domitian had a coin produced with the words Theou Yios inscribed on it. In Greek, Theou Yios means Son of God, a title Domitian was claiming for himself. As a form of protest, the Greek Christians formed a phrase in response to Domitian’s blasphemous claim. The phrase that was created was Iesous Christos Theou Yios Soter, which means “Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior.” The beginning letters of each word in this phrase created an acrostic in the form of ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) which was the Greek word meaning fish. http://truthandcharity.net/ichthys-history-and-symbolism/

String

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Rifleman1776! Picture is of the long toe plate from an original rifle made by Frederick Sell ca. 1810-15. He engraved fish all along the plate in what I would call his Christian blessings for the rifle's success along with it's owners good fortune. I am quite surprised that our friend Stophel (Chris Immel) hasn't posted about the history of "prayer holes" incorporated in a few nice old Germanic long arms. I believe a few of these traditions also came to the American colonies and were incorporated into a few early longrifles from Pennsylvania. Most often found as a deep depression (hole) in the patchbox mortise going under the PB finial. Mainly a hidden connection to the PB mortise itself.

Thank you for posting. Very interesting and we appreciate your taking the time to share with us.

AZbpBurner said:
It's interesting how languages change over the years. I have a copy of some old papers written in a form of Finnish no longer understood by anyone today & I've not found anyone yet who can translate.

My family came from Mora Parish, alternately Finnish or Swedish territory, depending on the particular year. They settled in America in 1664.

It may not be Finnish per se. There were several languages spoken in the area of Finland.Sadly many are lost to time.

That is about the time my Great way back grampa moved from the same area to the middle of Finland.

i saw an original bess in Newfoundland about 5 years ago that had the Shepherds prayer carved (very well done, i might add) in the barrel channel. the guy found it when he took it apart to repair a long crack in the stock. i wish i had a picture now. i don`t know where he or the bess is anymore

Back