• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Amusing/Ridiculous Muzzleloading Misconceptions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I should add this but....
The other day at the Gunsmith a customer said there is no way he would use a muzzleloader because of all the time it took to reload.
Now this guy is competitive shooter.

I said I did not spend much time reloading. For a start I dont have to worry about case preparation.
He gave me a stunned look and said "I never thought of it like that before"
Intelligent people that are into target shooting get it. I tell them "Muzzleloading is hand loading for every shot "

You work up your load , projectile, etc and obtain the best results, you are literally hand loading right at the firing line.

Anyway said:
As far as this subject and just about any other, the world is overflowing with a staggering amount of ignorance. What is more, one can almost never change their minds. My Uncle was like that until he took his first shot from my ML rifle. When he passed he left his widow with around 30 BP guns.

Yeah, yeah, here we go...let's blame the white man for everything.
Also, fact is the Indians would run herds of Bison off cliffs by the thousands. So not all were shot with rifles by the WHITE GUYS!! And that 30,000,000 was not in the mid 1800's.
I do get tired of this myth, that the white man killed the Bison with rifles. There was Really swell article on this a few years ago that I still have in my computer that says they were killed by the ticks that came up from Texas with the cattle drives starting 1860 or thereabouts. If anyone was interested I would love to send it to you. Some estimates are that there were 60 million Buffalo. If hide hunters would kill 500,000 a year which I think is way over estimate, it would it took 120 years to kill the Buffalo, figuring that they never had any more calves. If there was only 30 million, is still what it took 60 years not counting the increase in calves, What should've added 20 million more. After all the Indians were pretty well decimated by that time, so they weren't getting all that many. Any that went to the reservations had to eat cows that came up from Texas, with ticks. the article I have is about three pages long, came out of a national magazine, and I would sure love to email it to whoever would read it. I don't know how to post it here, unless they would accept a PDF file which I could turn it into. If somebody would let me know, I can do that.
Squint

@DUNKS Was it Canadian Rifles at Sainte Foy perhaps? I never read of such an account in 1760 regarding American Rifles. Interesting. I’d love to read it if you could post a pic of the page or link the reference.

I have read that account but can’t remember the details. I seem to remember that the other officer was Tarlton And the fellow telling the tail was pretty humerous

I do get tired of this myth, that the white man killed the Bison with rifles. There was Really swell article on this a few years ago that I still have in my computer that says they were killed by the ticks that came up from Texas with the cattle drives starting 1860 or thereabouts. If anyone was interested I would love to send it to you. Some estimates are that there were 60 million Buffalo. If hide hunters would kill 500,000 a year which I think is way over estimate, it would it took 120 years to kill the Buffalo, figuring that they never had any more calves. If there was only 30 million, is still what it took 60 years not counting the increase in calves, What should've added 20 million more. After all the Indians were pretty well decimated by that time, so they weren't getting all that many. Any that went to the reservations had to eat cows that came up from Texas, with ticks. the article I have is about three pages long, came out of a national magazine, and I would sure love to email it to whoever would read it. I don't know how to post it here, unless they would accept a PDF file which I could turn it into. If somebody would let me know, I can do that.
Squint

I believe that if the article is in the form of a PDF file that you can attach it to your post.

I hear a lot of you making comments about talking to fools or idiots, etc.
I have always contended, "it takes one to know one"!!:eek:🤣
"PAGE 18 COMING UP"🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ther are so many catagories a man has to be ignorant on some subject?
I don't like people that think they know it all. It really bothers people like us that do! Pun intended!

The book is "English Guns and Rifles" by John Nigel George, 1947. A lot has been learned since 1947, and there are some errors in the book, but the spirit of the book is totally honest, and J.N. George put in lots of fascinating anecdotes which make it a great read and well worth having in your library - just don't use it as a primary source in a research project. It can be found online for less than $40.

- Bill

Can you post that quote?

the article I have is about three pages long, came out of a national magazine, and I would sure love to email it to whoever would read it. I don't know how to post it here, unless they would accept a PDF file which I could turn it into. If somebody would let me know, I can do that.
Squint
If you can't post it here, I'd be interested in reading it. Send me a PM and I'll tell you where to send it. I tried sending you a PM but your messages are blocked.

If you can't post it here, I'd be interested in reading it. Send me a PM and I'll tell you where to send it. I tried sending you a PM but your messages are blocked.
Just did a search on Google for it: cows bison ticks will get you several hits on the topic.
The claims sound very convincing. It's impossible for hiders and train shooters to kill that many bison in that short a time frame and wipe out over 30 million bison.

That was then....this is now. I didn't do it.......you didn't do it....I don't owe them or anyone else NOTHING!! That was the times...period!
Lots of wishy washy folk these days judging people in history by today's (often lame) standards.
Makes me wonder who the hell these people think they are that they can sit in judgment of ANYONE at all. Let alone those dead for decades or more. We have raised too many who are too big for their britches.

Squint
Love to read it but I can't start a conversation with you. How can I send you my email?

Squint
On this subject....David Dary wrote a book some thirty years ago called The Buffalo Book, published by the University of Kansas Press. He devotes quite a bit of ink on buffalo population, and mortality rates of the animal. He basically came to the same conclusion.

Squint
I would like a copy if I can give you a email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back