• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American pioneer pwder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
emr,
Have not used it as i do not use B/P substitutes, but
you mite want to use the search feature of the MLF. I
vaguely remember a discussion on it some time back.
I would not put much into what Shockley says as he
don't speak of anything he don't get paid to speak of.IMO
snake-eyes

emr; Yes, I have tried APP in my flinters. I used APP, FFFG, as a main charge. I used Goex FFFG, and FFFFG, as prime charge in the pan. (no difference in ignition). It is not reliable enough. Delay, and hangfire. It works good in my percussion sidelocks, but not reccomended for flinters. I find Goex FFFG, as the main, and pan charge to work the best. Instant ignition every time.

I tried it.....I then poured the remaining 13 ounces on the yard for fertilizer....if it isn't any better fertilizer than it is powder I'd been better off buying something from Scott's for the yard.

Actually, I have used it and quite a bit of it. I did find it lacking in the flinters, but it worked well in the perc. guns. One thing I did notice though is that it is inconsistant over time. I am not sure if it is breaking down or what. So I used it allot, in the shotguns. It is ok, but BP is better. If that is all I had, I would enjoy it, since I would at least still be shooting!

Well Rebel, I will say that Clean Shot/American Pioneer powder doesn't foul much. Which is something I can't say about Elephant powder.

The last batch I got of it WAS terrible, after a few shots without cleaning , I was afraid I was going to have to chisle it out to clean. Weird BP fouling, two hours of soap water soak and it was still hard.

I'm told APP or other synthetics will not work reliably in flintlocks unless you also use Black Powder 4FG as a "pre-charge".

Although synthetic powders work excellent in percussion ignitions, for flint it's a different animal.

Hodgdon which makes Pyrodex and 777 synthetic substitutes recommends loading 5 grains FFFFG in the bore followed by the substutute powder load minus 5 grains for the 4FG.

Not a clue if it works well or not as I've never tried it. The idea of using two different powders and granulations in the bore sounds like more of a hassle than anything to me.

I think the general consensus is for Flintlock and Earlier ignitions is that black powder is where you will find the best and most reliable ignition.

:m2c:

Back