• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Pioneer Powder vs 777 vs BlackMag'3

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are already several states where people simply can not get BP in any practical way, even ordering in bulk as a group or a club. The regulations simply make it too hard for the average guy to get it and keep it. I can still drive less than 15 miles and buy either Goex or Graf's. Graf's store in St. Charles is not getting any more of their own brand powder in because it doesn't sell. The few people that come looking for black want a known brand. They still carry Goex and have some of the Graf's still in stock. The Graf's storefront does not carry Swiss in stock. You have to order it also. Dunn's does not carry black anymore at all after the fire. Dennison's, Graf's, and Bass Pro. Those are the only sources I know of close by, and two of them are 35 miles one way. The cost is around 15$ per pound with tax. Every Wally World carries Pyrodex and 777 in season. It is all most of the newcomers ever even see.

It is entirely possible inside a very short time period that we will all be looking for a sub that will work in our flintlocks. I have either tested or have info from trusted sources about all of the present choices except pinnacle. A good choice to replace black has still not shown up, in my opinion. If they make it so that I can't get black, I will not quit shooting my guns, but I will not be happy with any of the present alternatives. Knowing this, these discussions about the various subs are not only helpful, they are almost a requirement if our hobby is to continue.

There are already several states where people simply can not get BP in any practical way, even ordering in bulk as a group or a club. The regulations simply make it too hard for the average guy to get it and keep it. I can still drive less than 15 miles and buy either Goex or Graf's. Graf's store in St. Charles is not getting any more of their own brand powder in because it doesn't sell. The few people that come looking for black want a known brand. They still carry Goex and have some of the Graf's still in stock. The Graf's storefront does not carry Swiss in stock. You have to order it also. Dunn's does not carry black anymore at all after the fire. Dennison's, Graf's, and Bass Pro. Those are the only sources I know of close by, and two of them are 35 miles one way. The cost is around 15$ per pound with tax. Every Wally World carries Pyrodex and 777 in season. It is all most of the newcomers ever even see.

It is entirely possible inside a very short time period that we will all be looking for a sub that will work in our flintlocks. I have either tested or have info from trusted sources about all of the present choices except pinnacle. A good choice to replace black has still not shown up, in my opinion. If they make it so that I can't get black, I will not quit shooting my guns, but I will not be happy with any of the present alternatives. Knowing this, these discussions about the various subs are not only helpful, they are almost a requirement if our hobby is to continue.

"BINGO"!! :thumbsup: :redthumb:,..... and, thet's why I brought up GOEX powder under this topic.

Lack of sales causes merchandise to change, yet ther is NO "viable alternative" to real black powder available today.

Every time someone posts a "supposed improvement" of fake powder as compared to real black powder, the merits of real black powder suffers (even tho ther is "no replacement" for it, should it disappear completely from the market).

Modern technology keeps "march'n on", and we always seem to lose sumpthin due to it's progress!!

YMHS
rollingb

Tahquamenon: Thanks for the info. We'll give it a shot (no pun intended). Thanks for helping us newbies out with ya'lls experience with the different powders.

Cat9

Rollingb it's already happened to Swiss. Who carries Swiss BP in retail anymore? I've not seen it in years.

I have not yet got my flintlocks heated up. :rolleyes:

This is due to not enough range time. This summer I'll have more time on my hands and will for sure light the flint up.

No I don't think APP is going to get it done in a flintlock. I've shot my pound of APP and gave the rest away. I don't shoot APP powder.

But I will be trying BM'3 and 777 3F in flintlock. I'm not that otimistic they will shoot well but I'll give them an honest try. I'll likely prime the flint with 4F BP and then use the finer granulation subs as main charge.

I'm certain that BP will shoot, but I will really give the subs a go in flint. I've got a hunch that BM'3 might fire in flintlock with a 4F BP prime. Well see.

I've had superb results with BM'3 and 777 3F in percussion sidelocks and inlines.

I'm not sure I'm going to get Goex Pinnacle (but likely will get a pound or two) as I think it's cleanshot all over again.
:thumbsup:

*snip*

But I will be trying BM'3 and 777 3F in flintlock. I'm not that otimistic they will shoot well but I'll give them an honest try. I'll likely prime the flint with 4F BP and then use the finer granulation subs as main charge.

I'm certain that BP will shoot, but I will really give the subs a go in flint. I've got a hunch that BM'3 might fire in flintlock with a 4F BP prime. Well see.

When I first got my Pennsylvania Long Rifle, I couldn't find any BP. I had some Pyrodex RS left from use with the inline that I fired about 10 times and that didn't work at all in my .50 cal flinter. Bought some 777 (at +$25 lb. ::) and got that to work OK. I did have a small amount of 3fg left from use in my old Kentucky pistol and that would light up either of them. Soon as I found a source for BP, I switched and have only used Goex FFFg as both main charge and prime ever since. It's more dependable and easier to deal with a single size/type of BP.

It took about 5 tries to get the 3f 777 to go off in my cheapy flintlock. I was using a 4f prime. It shoots fine if you prime the vent with real black and then load the 777. My vent liner is not coned or drilled out larger. The biggest problem there is the moisture problem. My 36 caplock has had over a pound of the stuff fired thru it on the range, 30 grains at a time. In the summer when we are BS'ing, it gets loaded and passed around sometimes for hours. You can shoot all day with pre-lubed commercial patches using it and maybe swab once every 25 shots. I took it to the lake farm and fired a fouling shot. I then carried it all day squirrel hunting to see what would happen with a fouled gun in a humid environ. After being loaded for a while, several timwes it did not go off on the first try. In a clean well prepped caplock gun, the first shot is pretty sure. After that, it might as well be real black as far as the fouling drawing moisture to it. In a flinter using a vent primed with real black, the first shot should be ok. After that, you will clean it or your chances of it going off when you need it is not good. Pinnacle needs investgation.

I'm fortunate to have 2 stores within driving distance that stock Goex BP. I recently bought 3 lbs. of FFF. I also have half a lb. of FFFF, which should be a lifetime supply of priming powder for my flinter. I had more trouble finding BM3 - finally bought some in VA on my way back from a fishing trip in Hatteras.

I plan to use the BM3 in my Omega, and the Goex in the flinter. I just gave away a half lb. plus 30 pellets of 777 - things get ugly when you combine it with a 209 primer.

I'm having an underhammer built and will try both in it. If the BM3 shoots acceptably, I'll reserve the BP for use in the flinter.

Jimbo

Latest posts

Back