• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aluminum jaws for vise to hold oct barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately cutting off a TC barrel will require modifying the rib and barrel loop. A plug may or may not be available, especially percussion ones.

Unfortunately cutting off a TC barrel will require modifying the rib and barrel loop. A plug may or may not be available, especially percussion ones.
Read my post again. I didn't say cut the barrel. I said cut the TANG off the BP, drill and tap the breech. This means drilling the plug part of the BP which is left in the barrel after cutting off the tang. Many times as not, once you've drilled the 1st hole in the plug, an easy out will get the remainder right out. Either way, all you need to do is install a new BP. As far as availability, there are tons on E-Bay. I have a couple laying around here along with parts from CVA's and other Euro guns. Just stuff I've collected over 50+ years of ML work. Semper Fi.

Last edited:
For a tight plug, using sheet stock in a vice is a gamble. The barrel is going to spin with anything more than moderate pressure. For a loose plug it is fine. There is no reason to fit plugs so tight as to require gorilla strength force to unscrew them.

I would suggest maple blocks fitted to the barrel dusted with powdered rosin for those who are short on tooling.

I use machinists steel V-blocks with rosin and card stock. A tight barrel-plug goes in a hydraulic press. The plug wrench will need to be equally well fitted and stout in the case of TC or other chambered breech cap guns. For ordinary plugs I use a large crescent wrench.

On TC plugs you have a can of worms. I have had to put over 500 foot pounds on one, AND wacked the wrench with a big hammer to make it budge. That kind of force required specialized wrenches, blocks and a real barrel vice.

IF taking the plug out is marring the finish on the plug or barrel something is wrong.
I agree just padding the vise with something won't work, need a set of jaws to incase the barrel, and yes T/C plugs are probably tighter than they should be and seeing that this one is probably rusted as well isn't going to help, looks like ill give Rice Barrels a call and order one of theirs, thanks

not willing to cut the barrel, a friend has a machine shop if I can't remove it he can lol, and I plan on converting it to flint, plugs are available, thanks for the input

I use aluminum angle I found at lowes. Cut to length you want.
How does a right angle fit an octagon? I use Rice octagon jaws with a 12" cresent wrench, extended 24" with a pipe. Please note.....If it works for you, I am not criticizing, just don't understand how it works. Yes, aluminum angle can cushion the barrel from galding, but only on one flat. Not enough grab for me.
Larry

I use an oxy acetylene torch and a box wrench. It works for me. There are a lot of ways to do it.

TC plugs removal. Before cutting the barrel there is a better way. If you have a new plug in hand. Chuck the barrel in a lathe. Use a parting tool to cut close to the barrel but not touch the barrel. By removing the material from the plug you remove all tension on the shoulder. It will come out super easy at that point.

This is how to remove barrels on 1917 Enfield rifles. Remove the shoulder on the scrap barrel. Those barrels were also indexed by brute force, like the TC ML barrels. Once the shoulder is gone they practically come out by hand. This is a good trick to know for all barrel work.

As of now Track has replacement plugs with the correct threading. They have not has any for a long time. I would make this my #1 way to do it if the plug is stuck.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/667/1/PLUG-TC-15-11

TC plugs removal. Before cutting the barrel there is a better way. If you have a new plug in hand. Chuck the barrel in a lathe. Use a parting tool to cut close to the barrel but not touch the barrel. By removing the material from the plug you remove all tension on the shoulder. It will come out super easy at that point.

This is how to remove barrels on 1917 Enfield rifles. Remove the shoulder on the scrap barrel. Those barrels were also indexed by brute force, like the TC ML barrels. Once the shoulder is gone they practically come out by hand. This is a good trick to know for all barrel work.

As of now Track has replacement plugs with the correct threading. They have not has any for a long time. I would make this my #1 way to do it if the plug is stuck.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/667/1/PLUG-TC-15-11
Thanks for the info, if I can't get it out ill have my machinist friend do this

Back