• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliant Black Max Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alliant Black Max....They produce this stuff right here in my hometown as ATK owns CCI, Speer and this powder is made by them as well. I have never used it being a Black Powder purist pretty much.
Has anyone used it in older traditional muzzleloaders? It says virtually non-corrosive. I don't like Pyrodex and American Pioneer. Have had good luck with Hodgon 777 though.

Yep that's what I hear, But why buy it when its more expensive than the real thing? and of course its for Percussion rifles and pistols only, it won't work in flintlocks.

When you can get real black powder, stick with real black powder. The substitutes are just that, substitutes. They are for the percussion gun shooter only who can't get real black powder.

Yes, good info through the link on Alliant. Thanks. I will keep with the Goex, especially since I saw where it is moisture sensitive and clumps. American Pioneer did that for me and I threw it out and never bought it again. Goex BP can be stored forever I think. I have my self stored it over 10 yrs with no change in velocity that I noticed anyway. Ignition is always better with BP and 777 is only sub I have used that I actually like. Ignition was same for me as BP, but Pyrodex seems to have a delay in ignition that I noticed in several different rifles.

Alliant Black MZ powder is made by APP. i've been using Black MZ since it first came out. i also use Goex Pinnacle, another APP powder. Goex Pinnacle went away after Hodgdon Powder bought Goex.

Black MZ is a good powder. Last time i fired my .54 New Englander at 78 yards the 10 shot group measured just under 2 3/4 inches, fired without swabbing. Black MZ is more powerful than Pyrodex RS. The gun cleans up easily after firing Black MZ.

Most folks don't know how to use Black MZ powder: They are afraid to lean on the ramrod. Black MZ likes a tight fitting ball seated very hard on the powder: You can't get there with most wooden ramrods.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/blackmz.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Most folks don't know how to use Black MZ powder:

This is true of most substitute propellants.
Black MZ has some very good qualities and some detractors. As do all propellants.
I love BP, have no qualms about Pyrodex, and love Black MZ for certain applications.

Powder is like my toolbox.....there's more in it than a Vice-grip .

Back