• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Allen and Thurber or Mowrey Gun Works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Pletcher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend is bringing over a gun to identify. As he described it on the phone I thought of Mowrey Gun Works as we saw in the '70s at Friendship and in Dixie. It has a polished steel action and barrel. The writing says JAS Mowrey, 1864. I expected an original to say Allen and Thurber. Was the name Mowrey used on originals? Now I'm curious.
Regards,
Petch

I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. He seemed anxious to get me to see it, and was going to bring it over this afternoon. Hasn't come yet. He may be afraid he bought a reproduction.

Regards,
Pletch

It's quite likely it is an 1861 Springfield rifle musket contracted to Mowery. The lock would be marked U.S. over JAs. D. Mowery over Norwich, Conn.. There were about 22,000 in this contract in 1863/4. All the furniture was finished aromury bright. Most likely the barrel and lock will be stamped with the same date with the barrel having the standard proof marks and there should be at least one, probably two inspectors marks on the stock opposite the lock.

Flayderman's Guide says there was a James D. Mowry in Norwih, Conn that made Model 1861 U.S. Springfield Percussion Rifle-Muskets under contract in 1861, 1863-1864.

The guns made by the company were marked on the lock plate,

U.S./JAs D.MOWRY/NORWICH, CONN and the date the gun was made.

This is repeated in A. Merwyn Carey's book "AMERICAN FIREARMS MAKERS".

In "AMERICAN GUN MAKERS", by L. D. Satterlee & Arcadi Gluckman it says Jas Mowry barrels were made by Cole & Walker and the locks were made by C. B. Rogers & Co. with the remaining parts made by Mowry.

No mention of other guns by him were made in any of the books but it's possible he or his company made copies of the Allan & Wheelock, or Allen & Thurber guns the modern Mowery is patterened after.

Here's a far-fetched long-shot possibility: Googling "Jas Mowrey" shows there was a Civil War soldier in the Iowa Infantry with that name.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers-detail.htm?soldierId=632C1EBD-DC7A-DF11-BF36-B8AC6F5D926A

Assuming the rifle is an original Allen And Thurber, perhaps it could have been owned by Jas. Mowrey?

Well, I'm still not sure. He was going to bring the gun over for me to look at once his supper was over. That's the last I heard from him. His knowledge of MLs is small, and his description of the gun on the phone is like getting street directions from a 10 year old. From what little I could tell, it is probably not military. I should call him to see if I can get a look.
Regards,
Pletch

Back