• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alcohol source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What does everyone use for alcohol? I see lots of posts suggesting to use alcohol for cleaning. I do not use much of it but a year ago I needed some ISO alcohol for mixing with lanolin for reloading case lube and I had a hard time finding it and it was expensive. Granted this was when everyone was panicking looking for it for cleaning hands.

Is ISO recommended or is denatured a better choice when economy is considered?

I don't use it for cleaning per se. I will dump some down the barrel to dissipate any water left in the barrel and breech. WD40 will do the same.

Blue flame for white smoke?
Local supply typically has been verified by the ‘supplier’. Ultimately the final ‘inspection’ is usually a bubble test, followed by a taste test performed by the end user, while watching for the size of the smile. Then there is always the imported stuff…… But realistically, will stay with the cheap CVS, Walgreens and WallyWorld stuff for muzzleloader cleaning, and save the ‘good’ stuff for personal consumption.

A lady brought in a dozen gallon bottles of comercial alcohol sold for cleaning (used in machine shops) to our firehouse one day. She just wanted to dispose of them and was concerned about just pouring it out. There was 3 of us who shot. She wouldn't take any $$ so I've had a good supply of what I think is wood alcohol up till a couple years ago. As Grain alcohol is illegal to sell in Ohio, I cross the border to get everclear which is what I use. It works exactly the same, and I can blow peoples minds, joking when I take a sip of it when I'm sitting cleaning my guns in the evening. I found rum leaves a sticky residue.

I use Denatured Alcohol. Get a gallon at the local Home Depot $10-12 in the paints section, and it'll last ya a year or more.
All kinds of handy uses in the shop and with all my ml guns.
I actually pour out of the gallon to a smaller airtight bottle and refill as needed.

Back