• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alcohol source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also prefer the taste of the (90 ??) proof over the 101 proof. I also like the Jim Beam regular proof as well as the Evan Williams. WT is still my very favorite bourbon and rye.

The PA State Stores, (our state monopoly!) sell it as taxed & legal Moonshine, often in Mason-jar type bottles as sort of a tongue-in-cheek marketing gimmick. People use for making Punches, etc. Those Borders everywhere can be handy to cross at times!
Good to know. I never bought C2H5OH in PA. They do sell a gimmicked mason jar labeled moonshine, but is a terribly low % that isn't even that good at disinfecting such as killing virusus. Yea, most alcohol like vodka etc is only 40% so is already diluted and if using for disinfection, use straight. Otherwise, it's a decent degreaser.

and I'm sorry. I prefer my Glenfiddish or 1792 for drinking.

I'm an ordinary guy, and I'm satisfied with Old Grand-Dad Bourbon for everything and every day.... small problem: it's getting harder and harder to find in France, it is not found everywhere as before...... :confused:
Surprised it's not easy to find in France. Here in USA, it's a staple in every bar large & small, far and wide!

For drinking there is a difference, for cleaning any alcohol will work.Many people use windshield washer fluid which is a water, alcohol mix and easily available.

HEET or Iso-HEET from the auto parts store is excellent. The package is convenient. Poke a little hole in the foil seal to dispense precisely. The bottle is a good size for your kit.

My understanding is the California banned denatured alcohol for imaginary air pollution reasons. That said one professional paint store in my area has some solvents that are normally not available in my part of California.

You can clean with rubbing alcohol, of course it won't smell as good, but it will still do the job...

Don't worry, I don't often clean the barrels of my guns with Jim Beam, varnish or rubbing alcohol are fine for me, but I avoid drinking windshield washer because it often contains glycol in addition to other "cleaning" products: my liver is hyper-sensitive... :D :D

Beer man myself, usually takes a couple to get the job done, properly, Hic.
Robby

I'm there with you on beer. I love Guinness extra stout but find most craft brewery stouts to be just fine. And I'm a long time wine lover (reds). Either one is a once a week treat. The beverages Treestalker warned me about are an occasional treat as well. But I use denatured (got a quart) or rubbing alcohol for the cleaning regimen. I'll admit to being somewhat obsessive about caring for the MLs.

Can anyone point me to any period description of any form of alcohol being used to clean or otherwise maintain muzzleloaders?

When that search comes up empty, does anyone know when it became dogma in the modern era? I know from personal experience that it was before 1993.

Spence

I like the regular proof (40) WT, but the 50 proof is too strong and ruins the flavor.
I find the opposite to be true. To me the 101 has a higher concentration of flavor and the 81 tastes diluted, because it is. Sure the 101 has more spark/burn but it has more flavor. At least to me.

Can anyone point me to any period description of any form of alcohol being used to clean or otherwise maintain muzzleloaders?

When that search comes up empty, does anyone know when it became dogma in the modern era? I know from personal experience that it was before 1993.

Spence

I've tried to research this as well but it seems that the ODGs didn't think it important enough to mention and the competition shooters probably protected their secrets to the grave like grandma and her apple pie recipe. I think they probably experimented as much as we do now, but without the internet, things didn't get shared.

Regardless, isopropyl alcohol can be had 95%+ pure by order from a pharmacy. It ain't cheap but it does do the job cleaning. I've found that Windex works pretty darn good. I also know folks who use Simple Green.

Spence

I do not care what the HC cleaning methods were. My understanding was that they used tow and animal fat. They also freshed bores often. The vast majority of originals have rat hole bores.

I do not clean with alcohol. I use it after cleaning with soapy water. Alcohol mixes with the remaining water and removes the water. After a couple of patches I then blow out the alcohol residue. I then oil the clean dry bore.

I shoot pretty nice rifles. A couple would sell for about 3K each. I will not risk rusting the bores with meat drippings and salad oil.

I do not clean with alcohol. I use it after cleaning with soapy water. Alcohol mixes with the remaining water and removes the water. After a couple of patches I then blow out the alcohol residue. I then oil the clean dry bore.

That's exactly what I use the alcohol for; part of the bore drying regimen.

Back