• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aging brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Nick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old brass framed cap and ball in bad repair. The bluing is gone but the brass is quite bright. I plan to use it as a wall hanger but would like to age the brass. Any sugestions?

I've used Birchwood Casey's brass black. Just apply according to instructions and "wear" it back to the level you want. Best wearing agent for me was good old fashioned paste toothpaste on a rag and lots of elbow grease.

heres a formula
bernie :thumbsup:
29. Reddish Brown (for Cast Brass)
Ingredients
Cupric Sulfate... 125 gm [MORE INFO]
Sodium Acetate... 12.5 gm [MORE INFO]
Distilled Water... 1 L
Process
Boiling immersion (10-15 min)

The color will develop after 10 - 15 min. Remove and wash in hot water. Dry thoroughly, wax finish.

Back to Index

One table spoon Pyrodex, one table spoon cold water. Mix it, rub it on , wash it off with cold water. Three or four applications usually does it.

Shoot it clean it and wipe the brass with one of the patches with fowling on it. At least this works for me. Very easy.

spitpatch said:
Shoot it clean it and wipe the brass with one of the patches with fowling on it. At least this works for me. Very easy.

Works for me also...

i use birchwood caseys per-ma blue to age my brass....use a que-tip to dab it on in layers and it comes out blotchy with tints of golds, blues and browns like case coloring :v ...........bob

Back