• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding Weight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fez

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I need some advice from all you expert builders here. What is the best way to add some weight to a very light Pedersoli SxS?

If the goal is to change weight anything will work, be aware of changing balance as that has a strong effect on a bird gun. The recoil reduction is best done with a recoil reducer as it allows a lighter gun that handles well but doesn’t beat you up.

I need some advice from all you expert builders here. What is the best way to add some weight to a very light Pedersoli SxS?
If the recoil you dislike is from shooting off the bench, just understand that you won't feel that same amount recoil when actually hunting.

No shotgun feels good when shot from a bench. The ergonomics is all wonky.

But the recoil is nonexistent in the .25 seconds it takes to pull the trigger on prey.

If the recoil you dislike is from shooting off the bench, just understand that you won't feel that same amount recoil when actually hunting.

No shotgun feels good when shot from a bench.

But it's non existent in the .25 second when you pull the trigger on prey.
Yep non existent when shooting game but cumulative when shooting targets.

Hard to shoot clays from the bench. :)

They make mercury filled tubes that not only add weight but also reduce perceived recoil.
This is the best answer. When I shoot skeet all day with a 12 bore I wear a shooting jacket designed for shooting skeet/trap. HAs just the right padding at the shoulder. My favorite skeet gun was a 18 bore that I only had to load 5/8oz shot and 55gr powder. No recoil there.

have a number of sxs unmentionables and, as I am a bird hunter, they are all light weight. 7.5 pounds the heaviest, 6 the lightest. Since I am not continuously firing recoil is not a big concern. That said, I found that the better the gun fits me, the less I notice recoil. I also do not load them up. I use 2.5 inch shells and they will kill a bird very dead indeed.
I apologize for bringing up the unmentionables, but I only have one ML sxs and not enough experience with it. But certain things are valid for sxs guns regardless whether they load from the breech or muzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back