• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Add powder for distance..or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least at some club shoots, sight adjustments are usually not allowed during a match.
That's because the match rules will often specify fixed open sights.
They often allow folks to shoot using adjustable sights but only as long as they're not adjusted during the match. Then everyone's equipment is more equal.

Same load. Just practice at distances you know you will be shooting and burn it into your head where that shot will impact at such and such distance.

That's a classic example of a good rifle having two "sweet spots".

I've done the same thing at Novelty Shoots, shooting at smaller targets at longer distances where I don't want to have to "hold-over" and guess where the target is. My sights are primitive, drift-adjustable (with a block of pine and a hammer!). My Lyman Trade Rifle may not be HC, but I enjoy overcoming the obstacle of my primitive (factory) sights.

Up close I can cut a playing card in half sideways, so moving the non height-adjustable sight is out of the question! I merely use Kentucky Windage & Elevation to win matches. Having the ability to use additional powder, if needed, is my ONLY option.

Keep 'em in the Black!

Dave

One load and instead of holding high or low I raise or lower the front sight in the rear notch for different distance. Shoot to hit to the top of the front sight and the target is never obscured. Same thing; but a different way of doing it.

Find the Davenport Formula listed on this forum.

Then find your optimum load, use it as your max range load, and work down in 2 grain units until you find the most accurate load.
Heck you should be able to use that load at any distance.

Using any more powder is just wasting it, because its unburnt and spit out the end of the barrel

Quote "That's a classic example of a good rifle having two "sweet spots". "

That would make perfect sense. As a bullet fired from any gun flies in an arc not a straight line. So... The bullet would cross the point of aim about 25 to 30 yards and then again at 100 or so. (give or take)
The trick would be to know "Where" that cross is at the given ranges.

Hmmm.... Something for me to work on this summer. :wink:

40 Flint said:
Douglas .40 cal 42" barrel.

50 gr FFg at 25 and 50 yards sighted dead on. 75 gr at 100 and for hunting - again sighted dead on.

I do not like holdover if can avoid it as cannot see the target so cannot get consistant hold over. I can hold low and still see the target.

TC

I use 50 gr. of fffg in my GM .40's at all ranges from 25 to 100. Just hold a few inches high at 100. My barrels are simply more consistent with this load.

Ghettogun said:
I originally tried two different loads but had better luck at 100 by using my most consistent load and using elevation control. I have recently started shooting a CVA Mountain Rifle. Worked out to a 65 grain charge and interestingly it has the same point of aim at 25,50 and 100. The only rifle of mine that performs like that. I would like to be able to try some longer distances to see where it starts falling off.
This is interesting I just shot at 75 and 100 yds today 2nd time at 75 and first at 100 and I noticed that I had the same poa at each distance(50yds too) and hit the black 3" circle. My load is 65grains as well 50 cal T/C Hawkens.Does anyone feel this is too light for whitetails?

But if I can't see the target behind the front sight I can't judge "a couple of inches" that I am holding over. If gonna use one charge, I would rather hold under for shorter distances

I believe there is not one sweet spot with charges but a range - a minimum and a maximum (may be different with different powders) and long as you are in the range . . . . well worked VERY well for me when I was shooting competively and I usually was winner or high on the board at 100.

I know folks who said their Betsy was only accurate with 52.5 gr of old blaster or whatever. Couldn't get it to shoot with 50 or 55. They never beat me with that load tho.

I see what you're saying. I'm not crazy about covering the target with my muzzle either. But for target shooting like we do at our range it works OK. At 25 yds we use a 3 inch bull and I use a 6 o'clock hold. (Offhand) At 50 a center hold. For offhand shots we use a 6 inch bull and for bench rest a 3 inch. On those days when the light changes we make slight adjustments. At 100 yds we use a 6 inch bull and it's bench rest only. I hold about miday between the top of the bull and the top of the target. If it's windy I try to wait till the wind dies before firing, but can't always, so I line up on the target at 6 o'clock, shift left or right as needed an inch or two or more depending on the wind, bring the sight up and let fly. The problem with the .40 is though it's a pretty flat shooting caliber, it doesn't buck the wind good. I have shot this round with 70 grs. and it is amazingly flat and accurate, but in both of my .40's, one flint and one perc. the POI is not as consistent as they are with the 50 gr. charge. Their being 1 in 48 twist probably has something to do with it. I believe a .40 in 1 in 60 or better would settle down a lot better with the heavier charges. One of these days I might run some more exhaustive tests with various loads just for giggles. I've been shooting the flint .40 for over 20 years and it has been shooting well enough with the lighter load that I haven't played with any others for a long time. The perc .40 I just finished last year although the barrel had been lying in my shop for 18. I'll probably be converting it to flint this Summer and I think it would be a good candidate for testing.

Now when I was shooting adjustable sights, I had a one inch .50 cal Douglas barrel 1/66 twist. It STARTED shooting good at 90 grains FFg. That gun shot even a little better with 120 gr FFg. Was just too much expense, noise and pushing to shoot 120 all the time. Even the 90 gr loads brought complaints from shooters near by.

So I shot 90 gr and raised the peep sight up 14 clicks to go from 25/50 to 100. The open sight setting was 12 clicks up.

Been shooting flint and non adjustable sights for quite a few years now and more comfortable with the 2 load system.

Back