• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acid etched blades

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to know how to acid etch a knife blade like the ones that are shown in the TOTW catalog. I would like to know what type of acid is used and what the procedure is. Also where i can buy the acid. i have used mustard to age some of the knife blades i have made but, i think the acid etching looks more authentic. :thumbsup:

You could try Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid). It should be readily available in just about any hardware store.

You can use vinger get somthing big enought to hold your blade.If you have a welder you can weld a metal tube up and heat the vinger to get etch a little faster. The is the stuff could FC acid.Someone smarter can spell it for you, I understand you can get it at Radie shack it for etchs a part on the pc.You well need somthing to neaturalz the acid on your blade some people use windex.Hope this helps;

Cold blue the blade. Then set in, or apply warm Clorox bleach. Only takes a few minutes. Then wash and wet sand the rust off with 400 grit paper. If you apply the bleach to it, daub it on, and don't wipe it on, or you leave wipe streaks.

Back