• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mig

It just not be run in yet. Or you could polish the bore yourself.
Yes, but that doesn't change accuracy from one sitting to another. When something is good, then all of a sudden changes to bad, you got to find out what the change was.

See OPs original post...excerpts below:

"Well I've got a pedersoli Hawken hunter in 54 cal that has always been a 2-2.5" at 100 yard gun. ............., but the gun wouldn't shoot better than an 8" group from a bench with bags."

Last edited:
Thats the creep that swings on my barrel, How did you get a picture of him, I have tried but the camera refuses to see him.

Curious,
How many use a lubed felt overpowder wad with a round ball? Never heard of it before but might be a good idea if you guys have proven it helps. Thanks!
elkhorne

Yes, but that doesn't change accuracy from one sitting to another. When something is good, then all of a sudden changes to bad, you got to find out what the change was.

See OPs original post...excerpts below:

"Well I've got a pedersoli Hawken hunter in 54 cal that has always been a 2-2.5" at 100 yard gun. ............., but the gun wouldn't shoot better than an 8" group from a bench with bags."
True 👍🏻

I would be surprised if the lube made that big of a difference I say install a new nipple and put a felt wad one size larger than bore so in this case a .58 cal lubed wonder wad between the powder and bullet and it will shoot lights out provided there's not a bigger problem but it does not sound like there is ?

I would be surprised if the lube made that big of a difference I say install a new nipple and put a felt wad one size larger than bore so in this case a .58 cal lubed wonder wad between the powder and bullet and it will shoot lights out provided there's not a bigger problem but it does not sound like there is ?
I concur that lube made no difference from one sitting to another, unless the lube had dried and caked on his conicals. But lube does make a significant difference in accuracy.

I also concur on the OP wad would help, but again, it doesn't explain why the change from one sitting to another because he didn't change anything but used old powder.

Patch lube is wonderlube store bought. I haven't gotten into making my own yet. Temps were similar probably if anything 5-7 degrees cooler but still in the 80s.
Is the barrel lose in the stock? I had a old gun that all that did that ,then realized the barrel was moving and the wedge pin was not as tite. Fixed both of those problems and went back to shooting good.

Another range day and I've got it back square with PRB. Charge is 85 grns scheutzen 2f .530 rb and I switched to a .020 from .018 pillow ticking patch same lube. This is the 75 yard target.

Attachments

• KIMG6394.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG6395.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
Another range day and I've got it back square with PRB. Charge is 85 grns scheutzen 2f .530 rb and I switched to a .020 from .018 pillow ticking patch same lube. This is the 75 yard target.
If you moved to a thicker patch material and accuracy is back, then maybe @Britsmoothy was correct and your barrel is starting to break in and you just need to shoot more. I've had more than one rifle change what it likes for accuracy from when to new to couple hundred or so shots down the barrel. Sometimes the change was dramatic.

Maybe! It's got about 150 or so rounds through it now it's still to tight to run a .535 ball and .018 patch. I didn't even shoot a conical bullet today and honestly probably won't to hunt this year. I shot the 50 cal Mtn Rifle today also and it was doing well probably 3.5" group at 100.

Got out for a quick shoot and just to verify everything in the 54 cal pedersoli Hawken. Shot 3 and figured I'd better put it away. My unmentionables would be hard pressed to match this. The stars must have all aligned I must have been living right because I don't think I can duplicate this. It does have a peep and globe which helps. It feels really good to get some confidence back with hunting season so close.

Attachments

• KIMG6405.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
Curious,
How many use a lubed felt overpowder wad with a round ball? Never heard of it before but might be a good idea if you guys have proven it helps. Thanks!
elkhorne
FYI I tried the lubed over powder wad this spring and accuracy was not good, I located some of the wad/patches and the wads were stuck to the back of the patch, my theory was the wad/patch combination was steering the ball before falling off, just a theory.

Ditched the wad, accuracy came back. YMMV.

Did you pin gauge the nipple or change it out for giggles to see what difference it makes if any ?
No I didn't just took it down and cleaned it again and I switched to a .018 patch. I have been trying to maximize the range time and not shoot to much. I like to shoot my black powder guns and have a habit of taking 3 or 4 at a time and spending several hours. I changed that and just took the 54 and stopped after work. Shot 3 at 100 and then 2 at 50 and 2 at 25 to verify my points of impact.

FYI I tried the lubed over powder wad this spring and accuracy was not good, I located some of the wad/patches and the wads were stuck to the back of the patch, my theory was the wad/patch combination was steering the ball before falling off, just a theory.

Ditched the wad, accuracy came back. YMMV.
I've shot it with and without the wads and I've shot it with lubed and dry and my rifle just prefers a lubed wad over powder.

Latest posts

Back