• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok back from the range so the 54 shot well it wasn't quite as accurate as it was last week I probably got a 3.5 7 shot group at 100 with PRB which is more than acceptable in my world. I made no adjustments other than a new can of powder. The group with my conicals was about 5-6" so still not great but improved I only shot 4 rounds of that.shot 1 and 4 were high right of bull almost touching shot 2 bottom of bull well centered and Cranberries 3 was low left. No leading from the conicals they are all lubed and I'm super meticulous when I clean my guns and this one in particular even though it's fast twist has never fired plastic. I ran out of time to do more had to get some work done on a Monday.
If I could shoot those groups at 100 yards I’d do (try to do) hand springs.

Dump the wonder lube!
Is it a cap lock?
Make sure the nipple drum isn't touching the lock plate.
Yes cap lock. No I will still use wonder lube.no it doesn't touch the lock plate I did check. I also checked my wedge pins and everything else I could think of.

I really do think you should try another lube. Several in fact. Never hurts to experiment.
I've used mink oil and bore butter but it was a mess and not worth my time. The mink oil was good it's just hard to get good supplies around here not a big black powder community locally. The lube is only for patches and wads. I use a lymon black powder gold on my conicals unless I buy them pre cast like the no excuses. I'm not sure exactly what their bullet lube is it's blue and seems pretty good.

I've used mink oil and bore butter but it was a mess and not worth my time. The mink oil was good it's just hard to get good supplies around here not a big black powder community locally. The lube is only for patches and wads. I use a lymon black powder gold on my conicals unless I buy them pre cast like the no excuses. I'm not sure exactly what their bullet lube is it's blue and seems pretty good.
As far as lube goes I haven't noticed it making a marked difference in my 54. Other than the bore butter smelled like bengay and made a mess.

As far as lube goes I haven't noticed it making a marked difference in my 54. Other than the bore butter smelled like bengay and made a mess.
I can say the wonderlube has made a difference in my smaller calibers. It did outshoot the mink oil mix.

Ok back from the range so the 54 shot well it wasn't quite as accurate as it was last week I probably got a 3.5 7 shot group at 100 with PRB which is more than acceptable in my world. I made no adjustments other than a new can of powder. The group with my conicals was about 5-6" so still not great but improved I only shot 4 rounds of that.shot 1 and 4 were high right of bull almost touching shot 2 bottom of bull well centered and Cranberries 3 was low left. No leading from the conicals they are all lubed and I'm super meticulous when I clean my guns and this one in particular even though it's fast twist has never fired plastic. I ran out of time to do more had to get some work done on a Monday.
I had the same experience when changing cans of powder from a load I worked up using an older can. Not only was it from an older to a new un opened can but it was a change of lot. I also experienced a group size change when using a different brand of op wads. One was slightly larger even though it was same caliber. It can be frustrating.

Well I've got a pedersoli Hawken hunter in 54 cal that has always been a 2-2.5" at 100 yard gun. My sights are not stock the big ghost ring just wasn't doing well and the front was just to large so it has a Lee Shaver Globe and a Lyman 57SML tang peep. Anyway I was out today and I haven't changed anything with my load, it wasn't windy, and the weather was perfect, but the gun wouldn't shoot better than an 8" group from a bench with bags. I checked everything sights, lock, barrel, and stock nothing was amiss. I can not explain or figure out why it all fell apart today anybody have any thoughts or advice on what I might be missing.
Put a new nipple in it probably out of spec ?

I was shooting a match a few years back and my yeager that is deadly accurate wouldn't shoot very well that day and everyone was saying what the hey is going on with you today ? Any way a fella said to me you need to replace the nipple and I did and it instantly the accuracy came back I used a set of pin gauges to check it out but I'll have to go back to see if I made a note on it or not that could be your issue I hope it's that simple of a fix for you !!

I really do think you should try another lube. Several in fact. Never hurts to experiment.
I concur. It does make a difference. I have a recipe (if you are interested) that really does well stopping leading and, at least for me, helps accuracy. As a full disclosure, it is a modification to Idaho Lewis' lube (which he modified from Bullshop's NASA lube). 203098-1bfead1f0ded3b91f9a3769444b0a582.jpg

Yes I'd be interested to take a look at it I saw another one online the other day that was also interesting. I can't say that I'll switch right now with 30 days before my hunts start and work and family not allowing me to shoot as often as I do earlier in the year. I bet I'll get 2 or 3 more days to shoot before season starts. I've got Archery tags here also so Ive gotta shoot the bow some also. August is just to darn busy.

Yes I'd be interested to take a look at it I saw another one online the other day that was also interesting. I can't say that I'll switch right now with 30 days before my hunts start and work and family not allowing me to shoot as often as I do earlier in the year. I bet I'll get 2 or 3 more days to shoot before season starts. I've got Archery tags here also so Ive gotta shoot the bow some also. August is just to darn busy.
Wise idea. I too am set with my loads as my season starts in 2 weeks. I think I could make some improvements, but not now! PM sent.

Latest posts

Back