• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy difference between FFFG & FFG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a 45 caliber TC Seneca awhile back, shot it with FFFG (60 grain) .440 Hornady ball.010 lubed patch. Gun wouldn't hit target consistently. Was thinking I was going need barrel reworked. Stumbled onto TC manual today and looked up Senaca load recommendation, was surprised to see they used FFG. Decided to give it a try and with changing only from FFFG to FFG rifle dialed in to consistent pattern. I'm still learning something new every time we shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, I have been using 60 grains of FFFg in my .45 CVA Mountain Rifle and have found it very accurate. To be honest, I started and stopped load development right there since it shot so well. On the flip side, I have yet to find any load that shoots well in my .45 T/C Hawken. : ( Just shows that each gun can use some load development, some more than others.

My hunting partner's Seneca is very accurate with 60 grains FFg (Goex) with .440 ball with a .015 Mink Oil lubed patch. She has killed several hogs and deer with that load.

Picked up a 45 caliber TC Senaca awhile back, shot it with FFFG (60 grain) .440 Hornady ball.010 lubed patch. Gun wouldn't hit target constantly. Was thinking I was going need barrel reworked. Stumbled onto TC manual today and looked up Senaca load recommendation, was surprised to see they used FFG. Decided to give it a try and with changing only from FFFG to FFG rifle dialed in to consistent pattern. I'm still learning something new every time we shot.

You don't mention brand of powder. 3F Elephant is very dirty. 3F Swiss is a great powder for accuracy.

My .45 shoots like I want using 3F and I've never even tried FF in it. In my .50 both FFF and FF will be accurate with the right load. Testing is all that's needed.

My .45 shoots like I want using 3F and I've never even tried FF in it. In my .50 both FFF and FF will be accurate with the right load. Testing is all that's needed.
I've always used FFFG except.in 54s and above with no problem. My TC Hawken in 45 cal shoots exceptionally good with 50grains. But the Senaca didn't perform very good until I switched to FFG ( the Thompson manual shows that being what they tested with. Like mentioned earlier every gun needs tweaking.

Attachments

• PXL_20220702_004221762.jpg
    PXL_20220702_004221762.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
Look elsewhere for the accuracy issue. That is part of the frustration/fun of this game. Granulation difference may make a change in accuracy with some guns it usually would not be a significant change. In cases like this the problem can usually be traced back to the nut behind the trigger. Oops! ;)

Picked up a 45 caliber TC Seneca awhile back, shot it with FFFG (60 grain) .440 Hornady ball.010 lubed patch. Gun wouldn't hit target consistently. Was thinking I was going need barrel reworked. Stumbled onto TC manual today and looked up Senaca load recommendation, was surprised to see they used FFG. Decided to give it a try and with changing only from FFFG to FFG rifle dialed in to consistent pattern. I'm still learning something new every time we shot.
First of all, please weigh your store bought round balls! If they are all within a couple of grains, that's wonderful. But I have found that is not always the case. Both FFF and FF will probably work, but I would use much tighter patches! You have to do everything the same, every single time! and you still have to work up an optimum load.

60 Grains of Schetzen 2ff CVA Kentucky 45cal .018 patch
311869009_10226218721166504_4501438882967787014_n.jpg

Same rifle with 45 and 40 grains of Swiss 3fff again at 50 yds.
312259349_10226218658844946_7054278326190305548_n.jpg

Results aren't exactly scientific, but I'll take the results any day. Likewise I did notice during the session, the level of fouling was greatly reduced using the Swiss. Could be that the 3fff was just burning off better than the 2ff.

60 Grains of Schetzen 2ff CVA Kentucky 45cal .018 patch
View attachment 171272
Same rifle with 45 and 40 grains of Swiss 3fff again at 50 yds.
View attachment 171273
Results aren't exactly scientific, but I'll take the results any day. Likewise I did notice during the session, the level of fouling was greatly reduced using the Swiss. Could be that the 3fff was just burning off better than the 2ff.
Yup, 3f has less fouling, especially with Swiss.

FWIW, I started using FFFg under T/C MaxiHunter conicals in my .45 Seneca about 40 years ago, w/o any issues with either accuracy or performance (on whitetail deer).

I used GOEX for the first decade, then switched to Swiss after my local supply no longer stocked GOEX

Every gun is different, you don't know until you try different combinations.
I've a 45 Seneca that with 3F Goex it's all over the target, but with 2F Goex I can shoot a 2 inch group consistently. Other rifles I found patches to be the difference.

Back