• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

acceptable gap flash pan/barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justafeedboy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in letting my lock trying to get the flash pan touching the barrel, I have taken the lock all apart and have inlet it and then added a piece at a time and continued to inlet it. I am nearing completion of this process now I need to scrape out a high area to allow it to go from half cock to full cock. While cleaning a relatives garage I came across a feeler gauge. It is numbered 25 and goes down to 1.5. My previous high tech gauge was a piece of paper. Is there any gap or measurement that I should strive for. When I found this feeler gauge it opened up a whole world of possibilities in my mind for uses.

The gap should be as close to zero as possible, so if any of those gauges can fit, it's too much gap. I use a thin piece of bee's wax, which I smash when I tighten the lock, to keep fouling out of the lock. Keep removing wood till you get this kind of fit. A bit at a time.

Bill

There should be NO gap between the pan and barrel. Powder can fall down behind the lock and when the pan ignites the powder behind the lock can ignite which will make for a dangerous situation. At the very least fouling from the pan will fall behind the lock and really gum things up.

Thanks for the confirmation. That is what I was shooting for. I'm there except for the final stages of being able to go form half cock to full cock. Just a little more lamp black and some free time and I'll have a perfect fit.

Back