• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Wheellock for me- resources please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know why I did it but I bought a French Wheellock. Should have it in my hands in the next two weeks. Not like I need to go down an entirely different rabbit hole but....

So I know absolutely nothing about wheellocks other than a YouTube video I watched explaining how they work. So folks I need your help regarding sources for what I'll need. To start I'll need a spanner.

Here is one of the pictures from the auction website. Once it's in my hands I'll post more. Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'm excited.

img.jpeg

There's a few great posts on here recently about pyrite! I only prime inside of the wheel next to the barrel and CAREFULLY so no prime drops below/behind the wheel.

PM me your address and I'll send you a spanner. If you can use it, send me back $20. If not, send it back ... postage shouldn't be but $4. Might be worth the gamble ...

Beautiful piece!

Is that an original piece circa late 1600's or an aged reproduction? Be sure when you get it to check it over really well. There are a lot of fakes, decorator pieces, cheaply made overseas pieces, etc out there and a lot of people won't know the difference (auction houses especially). There are a lot of late Victorian pieces which are artworks on their own but they will often be sold for originals with the big price tag. If its more modern its aged well. I have a Circa 1670 German Hans Heller Wheellock that came from the the gun gallery of the Dukes of Saxony-Weimar at Ettersburg castle. The hair triggers are still in tact and working and the lock will work perfectly. I would in no way shoot it however - although I know it would work as well as when it was made. To pricey to risk something breaking. Good luck in your learning and shooting!!!

Attachments

• radschlossgewehr_2.jpg
    radschlossgewehr_2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 53
  • radschlossgewehr_4c (1).jpg
    radschlossgewehr_4c (1).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 58
  • radschlossgewehr_4c.jpg
    radschlossgewehr_4c.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
  • radschlossgewehr_5c.jpg
    radschlossgewehr_5c.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
  • radschlossgewehr_6c.jpg
    radschlossgewehr_6c.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 41
Here are some spanner pics - it has a Wheel Lock Spanner, Pull out powder measure, and a powder tester. Its Italian I believe - same period - late 1600's.

Attachments

• IMG_4314.jpg
    IMG_4314.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4316.jpg
    IMG_4316.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4319.jpg
    IMG_4319.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 30
Cornstalk , you dont need a custom made spanner to span your rifle , all you need is a wrench that fits , the spanning tool can come later . First off find some cubes of Pyrites from China .

My match lock is one of the earlier types and has a much faster ignition than my wheel lock .
Yeah, the posts have a taper … please don’t use a wrench on a ‘real’ antique wheellock. We ”Brothers of the Wheel” take offense to the wrong tool being used in such a gross manner … LOL!

Besides, I shipped you one out today!
Quite right , I carry a small shifting spanner in my shooting box and it is so sloppy it worked ok when I left my real spanner at home . :doh: :doh:

Much depends on the matchcord. Yes it s got fire but a flint spark is white hot the match is just red hot and some locks are slow but the snap matchlock is generally fast . And confounds the sceptics who make fun of their ability . Every coffee table book author rubbishes the matchlocks ability to shoot flying . .But we used to shoot 'driven' clays 'Over the belt 'like high Pheasants & any other clay bird just a well as any other gun of same bore & form at large gathering UK ' Game Fairs' .
I was at F' ship and a M'lock gun of my make was there with one of the New Zealand International team . who where visiting after the Shoots at Phortzime
We had the usual "Oh a matchlock Ile go get a coffee & come back to see it going off "type banter ( And Banter is expected in this match , good natured but not helpfull ).Well it went off like lightning as expected .There was a pregnant pause then some one exclaimed " Sh%t that was quick !!!" Match cord or the Fungus alternate is a bit of an art form lowly it may be but simple it isn't .

Regards Rudyard

I soak old fashioned cotton window sash cord in a mix of white vinegar and potassium chloride about a pint of vinegar and 2 oz of potassium chloride , warmed up and soak the cord for a day , then hang to dry , I believe the vinegar slows the rate of burn of the match and stops it becoming a fuse .

Dry flat makes sense but the use of hemp cord & lye is an old way, no doubt , most will work but the slowest hottest burn with little ash is the desirum. I recall one Bisley Short Range MLAGB Champs when despite rain the discarded match of one of the Japoneese shooters was still glowing away dureing the rained on presentations .But then matchlocks are the only sort of gun they can have ; So no doubt much study has gone into their cheekstock guns for the MLAIC' Tanagashima 'events standing 55 yards offhand, plus there's a knealing one 'Hidisz 'or some such name .
Incidently I recall the First MLAIC event in the US shot at Quantico . The Japonees shot there guns, some suitably attired . I think they placed . The cerromony went through all the usual gong hunting Nations, US & Germany. ( It got predictable ). But when the Japoneese came up to get their prize there was a spontanious roar of approuval . I am not overly fond of their guns I think they just copied the Veneitan Snap matchlock or one with a rotted of smashed butt so it got peddled of to the Japonees who didnt know the difference .No doubt some crafty Portugees got a good deal & chuckled all the way back home . But some very good shooting can be got from them . I made up a Venitian Snap lock & my last comp score was 83 . But such is the level of these events that you really need a 'possible' to be sure to place . The Target incidentley is the French Musket 200 whatever. International target ( basicaly twice the size of the useual PL7 International target ) All good stuff .
Regards Rudyard

Back