• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A pair of biguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are 8 ga guns legal for hunting. Sure not in PA.
Yeah this. Cool big bores, but legal for hunting in the USA? I'm not so sure. Most states that I'm aware of cap the largest gauge of shotguns/smoothbores at 10 gauge for both private and public hunting. I still hope he builds these boomers and posts pics of these mini punt guns!

edit- I believe the OP lives in Iowa. Here is the regs of Iowa-

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf
It appears that not only for turkey but for any hunting, the largest you can use is a 10 gauge. @Comfortably_Numb please read the regs. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I don't want you to get in trouble.

Last edited:
I'm a big boy, I'm not worried about legality. I'm 66 years old and I want to kill a turkey with a big gun before I croak. So, here's the first step in achieving my goal.
That statement right there earned a whole lotta respect (I know you don't care)! Go for it! I hope you kill a big longbeard!

One does not need choke for skeet. Those doubles at 1,2,6 & 7 are going to be frustrating.

We are of similar age yet you look much younger…unless you are the chicken.

That statement right there earned a whole lotta respect (I know you don't care)! Go for it! I hope you kill a big longbeard!
I care! And I appreciate it.
I just want to get everything done I need to do. According to family genetics I got 20 to 30 years to get it all done if I don't step in front of a truck.

One does not need choke for skeet. Those doubles at 1,2,6 & 7 are going to be frustrating.

We are of similar age yet you look much younger…unless you are the chicken.
I shot skeet for a lot of years at friendship, I always found about .005 jug to fill in the center of the pattern.
If you have a cylinder bore with chambered breeches it will shoot a good cylinder bore pattern.

Yeah this. Cool big bores, but legal for hunting in the USA? I'm not so sure. Most states that I'm aware of cap the largest gauge of shotguns/smoothbores at 10 gauge for both private and public hunting. I still hope he builds these boomers and posts pics of these mini punt guns!

edit- I believe the OP lives in Iowa. Here is the regs of Iowa-

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf
It appears that not only for turkey but for any hunting, the largest you can use is a 10 gauge. @Comfortably_Numb please read the regs. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I don't want you to get in trouble.
I think the Feds limit for waterfowl is 10 as well. Now, I met a charter boat captain that claims once he is 12 miles out, all regs are null and void. He operated out of Lewes Delaware and claimed ducks and Geese took short cuts across the ocean when flying down the coast, so they did get some shooting out there, though I can't imagine how..

Here's the pattern I'm going to use, this one is in curly ash, the new ones will be in curly maple. If i would have kept this one I wouldn't have to make another one. I didn't even get to shoot it. This one was in 10 bore...I think.

Attachments

• mikescbutt2.jpg
    mikescbutt2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0
  • mikescbutt13.jpg
    mikescbutt13.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's another, only this one is in curly maple and uses recycled first model Bess parts.

Attachments

• DSCF2017.JPG
    DSCF2017.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2018.JPG
    DSCF2018.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2019 (2).JPG
    DSCF2019 (2).JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2019.JPG
    DSCF2019.JPG