• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A New Cape-Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

As it "looks like" I'm retiring to Latin America SOONER (rather than in the year that I thought until a week ago), I'm looking for another Cape-Gun in at least .54 X at least 16 gauge.
(I'd really rather have at least a .58 X 12-bore.)

In the event that any of you have ACTUAL experience with a particular gunsmith, who builds such firearms, I'd like your advice.
(I would also "look at" a good used Cape-Gun, if you have a quality one for sale/barter.)

Note: I'm NOT sure IF this is the "proper location" for this post, as Cape-Guns have both smooth & rifled barrels. = Feel FREE to move it to "rifles", if that's better.

yours, satx

check out the pedrosoli Kodiak express . comes in double rifle and as a cape gun 12 ga. x 58 cal.

satx78247 said:
THANKS.= I'll call him tomorrow 12OCT14.

The link doesn't work.

yours, satx

Good guy, tell him I said Hi.
The link looked wrong. Try this: http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/
Or private message him, he is a member here.
We have other builders here who may be able to do this, don't want to slight them.
Was wondering, what big animules are there in SA that need an elephant gun to bring them down?

Edit: posted wrong again. :idunno: :idunno:
Try typing: www.stolzergunsmithing.com

2nd edit: Even when I typed it, still wrong.
It is Stolzer Gunsmithing. A PT is probably yer best bet.

3rd edit: Hey Claude, wassup?? :confused: I typed it right and it posted wrong. S upper case posts lower case. z posts as d. :doh: :surrender: Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Claude's forum computer is getting cranky.

As you know, the forums computer will block links to other forums with discussion areas.

I have no idea how it knows whether a link is to a discussion forum (which it blocks) or to a business forum (which it usually allows)but I think it might be blocking the link because the site you gave in your post has a Blog in it where discussions are permitted.

Fwiw, I see little or nothing wrong with at least giving me a competent gunsmith's name & phone number, as qualified ML smiths (at least those who can do cape-guns) as I know of none that are now working.
The smith, who built the last one that I bought, has "walked on".

yours, satx

I don't know where in Latin America you are moving but some countries (or their policia) treat muzzleloaders the same as modern guns. Many bribes are needed even if legal.
Unfortunately, bribery is a way of life for public officials in many foreign countries. :td:

PS: This may be the fellow Rifleman was referring to: [email protected]

Where we're going, ALL Norteamericano & European "Pensionados" MAY own/possess/conceal ANY firearm, including FA weapons & what the USA calls "destructive devices".
(Nobody but persons "of clean criminal record", "of good reputation" AND who have passed their 50th birthday MAY BE a Pensionado.)

For that singular reason, ALL "foreign persons", who have a Pensionado ID card there, MAY lawfully possess forearms. Firearms licenses cost about 12.ooUSD for 3 years.
(Public Law #9, the so-called, "Senior Citizens Rights & Privilege Act", applies equally to citizens of the republic & also to lawful residents, who are not citizens.)

yours, satx

Well, maybe NOT Heaven BUT a lot better place to live as a retired couple on a pension.
(Fwiw, I can afford to hire an RN to take care of my "Duckie" 52 weeks a year, without going hungry. = Here in the USA, if we didn't have Tricare, I'd be in "the poor house" & she would be in a cheap nursing home, instead of her own bed.)
Down there, she will be waited on "hand & foot" by a French-uniformed maid, who curtsies & says in response to a question, "Si Patrona, te sirven con mucho placer."

The USA is NOT a good country to grow old, unless you're rich!!!

yours, satx

Come to Canada!
Every other Son of B---ch is milking our system, for medical care.
They even refuse to identify themselves, as it is an infringement on their religious rights.
So wrap a rag on your head, and refuse to speak English.
It works!
And we can still shoot, but can't carry handguns.
( in the open :stir: )
Fred

Sounds like you really did your homework.

Panama, Costa Rica, and Ecuador are attracting many retirees. I've spent about 7 weeks in Costa Rica in the last few years but retiring there would be more expensive than other options. Plus their gun laws are not as good as here.

I hope it all works fine for you.

Back