• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A manufacturer exclusively for all things percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking today (always a dangerous proposition ) if a cottage industry at first, solely geared to service the percussion shooters of the world, could not be made into a profitable venture that would benefit all ?
Percussion caps seem to be an annoying side aspect of the big name manufactures which are more interested in government contracts and the restrictions big brother always demands accompany them.
I know we are a side customer compared to smokeless primer manufacture but certainly there is enough percussion shooters in the wide world to support at least a cottage industry tailored to the need.

I'd like to see an ammo company, maybe a small operation, specialize in ammo for the un-mentionable 45 frontier types. To get the price down to a reasonable level. Home re-loading is really the way to go for high volume use, I guess!

certainly there is enough percussion shooters in the wide world to support at least a cottage industry tailored to the need.
Probably, if it were just a matter of manufacturing & selling a product.

Unfortunately, since one would also have to contend with eeek! scary chemicals! acquisition, [frown] why are you ordering danger stuff?! scrutiny, as well as health & safety rules & regs, storage requirements, shipping restrictions, Benevolent Order of the Leviathan licensing, and in$urance for everything under the sun, that cottage industry would likely have to charge $27.50 per percussion cap to break even. Oh, plus hazmat charges. And Tax - can't forget the taxes...

I bet the reason only the Big Players do it (grudgingly or not) is because they already have the mfg & administrative infrastructure to be able to play in the modern marketplace.

Don't get me wrong! I'd love to see it happen and would do my best to support such an effort! I don't mean to be Eeyore about it - just lamenting the not-directly-related-to-product-development-and-sale administrative & regulatory burden on today's domestic manufacturing.

Unfortunately, since one would also have to contend with eeek! scary chemicals! acquisition, [frown] why are you ordering danger stuff?! scrutiny, as well as health & safety rules & regs, storage requirements, shipping restrictions, Benevolent Order of the Leviathan licensing, and in$urance for everything under the sun, that cottage industry would likely have to charge $27.50 per percussion cap to break even. Oh, plus hazmat charges. And Tax - can't forget the taxes...

I bet the reason only the Big Players do it (grudgingly or not) is because they already have the mfg & administrative infrastructure to be able to play in the modern marketplace.

Don't get me wrong! I'd love to see it happen and would do my best to support such an effort! I don't mean to be Eeyore about it - just lamenting the not-directly-related-to-product-development-and-sale administrative & regulatory burden on today's domestic manufacturing.
One needs the truth and reality of a subject to realize the potential or lack there of so thank you for exposing much of what I had no knowledge off as a consideration for success.

I like M.De Land's idea as well, for lots of things dominated by the klepto-crony capitalists. The problem is that in our corrupt anti-system, these "too big to fail" corporations spend more money lobbying [bribing really] for laws against competition than they do on product innovation and customer service combined. "Licensing" for the manufacturing of products is nothing but doublespeak for monopolism, that shows that the government agencies supposedly formed to 'protect' us, have been captured by the very monopolists that they were supposed to protect us from.
A nation of 300 million claiming to be based on entrepreneurial capitalism that boasts a meager 3 [somewhat serious] auto manufacturers is a farce and exposes the corruption that we are up against. Especially since at least 2 out of the 3 would not exist without taxpayer bailouts.
The parts business suggested is still possible because our elite oligarchs [those that really rule over us] have realized that gun control of all types is most easily managed by the despotic licensing of the chemical production and use of propellants and priming compounds. The corporations that are already licensed to do it, like it that way. The lack of percussion caps is a residual of this dynamic. The licensed manufacturers have a lock on this with little intention of giving that up. SW

Back