• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Man In The Wilderness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
In this little town we have a store that runs a DVD exchange. He pays $1 to 4 dollars for a DVD depending on what it is and charges $3 to $8 for them when he sells. I stop in once a month or so. Last weekend I got the movie A Man in the Wilderness starring Richard Harris. I haven't seen the movie in 20 years. Watching it again was enjoyable, but I kept picking out inaccuracies.

I asked the shop owner about the movie "A Man Called Horse" and he said he had just sold a copy a day or two earlier. (My pecs hurt just thinking about that movie)

I have never run into those movies at Wally's or the other discount places.

I bought three movies and he threw in "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" for free.

I picked up my copy of "Man in the Wilderness" out of the wally world $5 bin. I never fail to check when ever I go to wally world, picked up quite a few westerns that way.

Don

When I was a kid about 7 or 8 my dady started to watch cowboy movies with me until I moved out. Loved most of them. (can you tell me where I can get one of them Roy Rodgers guns that never runs outa ammo?) :haha:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is my favorite movie of all time, closely followed by the Outlaw Jossie Wales which was my daddys favorite.

Any of the old spagheti westerns are sure to catch my attention.

(slightly OT)I hated Gun Smoke and The Rifleman which were some of dads favorite TV shows. But I loved Branded and The Lone Ranger.

But out of all them movies I never seen A Man in the Wilderness.
(I'll go wiki it to get a synopsis.)

I highly recommend A Man called Horse. loosely based on a true story, as was A Man in the Wilderness.

My college Indigenous American Anthropology professor had us watch the movie, claiming A Man Called Horse was about 98% accurate about plains Indian life

A Man Called Horse is a great movie, I haven't seen that in about 15 years though!
Man in the Wilderness? I can't say I have ever even heard of it!

About Zach Bass, attacked by a Grizz and left behind by the trapper party to die, but he doesn't.

It had also been years since I saw it but it was on satellite a few weeks ago. Of course I missed the beginging. I never could figure out why they were dragging that silly boat around for.

They boat was so they could ride down the Missouri to the Mississippi, but they miscalculated their progress and got there while the river was too low.

I remember reading that one of the fur company expeditions did maintain a boat overland, but the one in the movie was probably far larger than the one actually used.

According to Lewis' journal they packed a foldable metal frame boat that could be covered with skins that could hold the party or much of it.

The real bear injured and abandoned trapper was Hugh Glass and there really was a keel boat and a Major Henry. Glass's feat despite injuries and broken leg was even more amazing in real life than Zach Bass' trek in the movie.

If ya did'nt know this already but one of the guys that stayed with and then left Hugh Bass was Jim Bridger, the other guy was John Fitzgerald. Bass let him live cause he was a youngster (19 yrs old) When Hugh Glass caught up with Fitzgerald he dicovered that he had joined the army so he could'nt kill him like he had sworn too.

I enjoyed "Man in the Wilderness" and have enjoyed many other western movies. At 80 yrs I don't "rattle my brain" deciding whether this or that movie is "real"....I just enjoy them. That's not to say that all western movies are worthy of viewership....not by a long shot. Asre the "spaghetti westerns"....some are excellent while others aren't convincing because of the poor "voice dubbing".

My wife and I have all the "premium movie channels" and do enjoy the opportunity to view the many movie genre. Luckily we have 3 TVs...sometimes our tastes vary.

The other evening we watched the "Horse Whisperer" which starred and was directed by Robert Redford....excellent "modern western" in which the horse's malady was the vehicle for displaying the problems of a mother {wife}, daughter, husband and also the Horsewhisper's dilemma. The Montana scenery was breathtaking and the "ranch life" conveyed the independence of people in the ranching business. An excellent movie.

Watching a good movie is time spent more or less in a fantasy world and IMO, being too critical just spoils the effect...if a movie engenders constant criticism....it shouldn't be viewed......Fred

I'm with you on just enjoying the movie. Most hollywood productions are historically inaccurate so there is no use getting upset about it. A good story is a good story regardless of the details.

Don

zimmerstutzen said:
I highly recommend A Man called Horse. loosely based on a true story, as was A Man in the Wilderness.

My college Indigenous American Anthropology professor had us watch the movie, claiming A Man Called Horse was about 98% accurate about plains Indian life

I knew that A Man In The Wilderness was loosely based on a portion of the life of Hugh Glass but I didn't know that A Man Called Horse was also based on a true story.

I always thought that the movie, A Man Called Horse, was based on the short story of the same name that was written by Dorothy M. Johnson.

This is interesting and I would like to read up on it a little more. Would you please tell me the name of the fellow that A Man Called Horse is based on?

Dorothy Johnson did write a story that was adapted to the screenplay. But there was a low level English aristocrat kidnapped in the early west. I heard his name and understand that once he returned to England, he wrote a book about it. The was a rash of foreigners touring the high plains in the 1830's. Karl Bodmer and Prince Maximillian among them. At Ft. Clark ND, where they spent the winter, there are copies of some of Bodmer's paintings. The geography still looks exactly the same as Bodmer painted. (At least in 1994, when I was there.) Maximillian's collection of artifacts and Bodmer's art work has made the rounds of American museums once or twice. Well worth seeing, if you get the chance.

I think I have the reference to the English captive's actual name somewhere but probably buried in the attic.

having just watch Man in the Wilderness again ( an old fave of mine) I cldnt help but notice somthing I had missed before; 1, when R. Harris reloads, he puts the RB in his mouth ( no patch at all) loads powder straight from the horn to muzzle and then just drops the ball in sans patch and thumps the butt on the ground to seat it.
The other thing I noticed was they never actually fired the weapons, There were all but certainly bout 2 oz of 4 ffff in the pan(Hollywood huge puffs as a result), but never the muzzle blast.
Still love the movie, but that kinda put me on my heals.

I do also have a Man called Horse and the Outlaw Josey Whales. "The Mountain men" is a goodn too

Latest posts

Back