• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A List of Beginner's Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bench and a vise to hold your stock. Wood rasp, good quality wood chisels, clamps and a variety of sandpaper. Files, drill and drill bits, screw driver.

You might watch a few videos on YouTube or Rumble from Bill Raby or the Grumpy Gunsmith to see what they are using or have on their bench.

Grizzly has their pattern makers vise on sale for 10% off with free shipping, plus another 5% if you sign up of their emails. Otherwise check craigslist.org, hibid.com, local auctions, fleamarkets or garage sales for quality used tools. I would rather have a quality set of used chisels than new made in china trash. Most of my tools are used, with some exceptions like the pattern makers vise.

My latest set of Kibler instructions suggest the following:

1/8" chisel
1/4" chisel
Exacto style knife
small mallet
sharpening stone
6-8" single cut mill file
6-8" half round file
Triangular needle file
flat needle file
1/16" drill bits*
1/16" pin punch
small hammer
hand power drill*
side cutters
pliers or vice grips
screwdrivers
2-3" C-clamp*
150-320 grit sand paper for wood
inletting transfer color
Bench Vice

The Items with a * were not used by me on my Woodsrunner. They are for older kits where you need to drill the pin holes. The Woodsrunner has all the pin holes and barrel tenon slots done for you already.

You will need some way to protect your stock and barrel from the vice. Thick leather and plywood is good.

Sharpie marker is excellent for transferring color. It does not make a mess and only transfers with pressure. You may or may not need any. The stock is close to perfect as delivered.

I bet Kibler could put together a tool kit and sell it to those who are interested.

My latest set of Kibler instructions suggest the following:

1/8" chisel
1/4" chisel
Exacto style knife
small mallet
sharpening stone
6-8" single cut mill file
6-8" half round file
Triangular needle file
flat needle file
1/16" drill bits*
1/16" pin punch
small hammer
hand power drill*
side cutters
pliers or vice grips
screwdrivers
2-3" C-clamp*
150-320 grit sand paper for wood
inletting transfer color
Bench Vice

The Items with a * were not used by me on my Woodsrunner. They are for older kits where you need to drill the pin holes. The Woodsrunner has all the pin holes and barrel tenon slots done for you already.

You will need some way to protect your stock and barrel from the vice. Thick leather and plywood is good.

Sharpie marker is excellent for transferring color. It does not make a mess and only transfers with pressure. You may or may not need any. The stock is close to perfect as delivered.

I bet Kibler could put together a tool kit and sell it to those who are interested.

Perfect. That's just what I needed.

Sorry but this kind of thread just bugs me to no end. And I'm sure some will say I too am guilty of it but here goes.

The OP obviously has the computer skills to search the internet or I doubt he'd be able to come here. Kibler has tool recommendations on his site and even sells a few. Page 2 of my Woodsrunner instructions has a recommended tool list. The search function right here. YouTube has videos that list tools. And most tools might become obvious simply through the build process and/or reading the instructions.

Point is we have several generations now pretending to be adults who always try the shortcut of asking someone first. Granted it can usually be faster and maybe even more accurate. But what do they learn from it? How to kiss up? Did their teachers and parents just hand them the answers in school? I hope not but I know many do.

Doing the research on ones own can result in so much more knowledge than just a simple tool list. And more satisfying for the individual.

OK, rant over. My apologies!

Kibler has a ton of videos on how too.. How so many have so many problems assembling his kits drives me crazy.... I get the Browning or staining the stock..
But how much simpler can he make them....?

I search the web on a daily basis. Lot of things are hard to find, particularly gun stuff. Some search engines deliberately hide it. Searching some websites does not work well.

If the guy asked a sincere question I like to give a constructive answer. Nobody has to reply to anything. If it is annoying just pass.

I just searched "Kibler recommended tools" here and got a 404 error.

We should try to encourage new people when we can.

Look, I'm probably not a black belt at Google-Fu, but if I don't see the answer I want in the first few of pages of a search, I'm going to try another way.

In this case, I searched Kibler's site, and Googled a few times, and then came here and did a few searches. Nobody had a decent list as a list and not a 10-part series on how to build a rifle.

I even have a friend that's done it. I asked him. He told me to just start building and see what made sense.

There are classes on how to build a rifle, but it's a matter of pay the tuition/get the list.

There are books, but it's buy the book/get the list.

If you scour the forum threads, what you see is a lot of the same kind of questions and then an argument among the curmudgeons on what's this-or-that for the job. It all make perfect sense to y'all, but as a newbie, I say Phooey!

Scota@45/70 was the first list as a just a list that I've seen.

As I said previously, someone should sticky a list at the top.

Y'all gotta understand another thing: I just finished Chemo a year ago. I'm clean now, but the poison left me with all sorts of problems, including neuropathy in my feet and hands. Last year at this time, I was a wreck. I'm pretty much recovered, but. . .

As a for-instance, I tried to repair a laptop for my #1 granddaughter this past weekend. I got an hour into it and found out I was no longer able to handle all the little screws and such. I dumped off and took it to a repair place. I did this sort of work for 40 years before I was forced to retire due to the cancer. When I do this build, it's going to be a form of advanced Occupational Therapy. I plan on acquiring the tools and then practicing on scraps before the kit arrives. This is a mountain I want to climb. I didn't think I'd have to dodge rotten tomatoes along the way.

Now that I have the list, I can start inventorying my tools and segregate what I need and go about acquiring the rest. Thanks for your help.

One thing I'll be sure to do when I get this project together is make up my own list of suggested tools and post it on my weblog for the next guy.

Shaman the Kibler Woods runner is the easiest of the three kits Kibler offers. Us old grouchy and types back when we started didn't have the kind of kits Kibler offers. We also had to make a lot of the parts or repair the ones the kit came with. With little to no help, just figure it out yourself.
We only wished we could of had all the instructions and videos Kibler offers. Trust me they were a challenge. Now not referring to you. But it seems lately no one wants to try to do anything to figure something out. No matter how simple it is. JM2C

I've resisted posting this tools list because I don't remember where I found it, so I can't cite the source. It may have come from Track of the Wolf. If so, I can't find it there anymore. The list has served me well. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Tools Required for Building a Muzzle Loader.pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
I search the web on a daily basis. Lot of things are hard to find, particularly gun stuff. Some search engines deliberately hide it. Searching some websites does not work well.

If the guy asked a sincere question I like to give a constructive answer. Nobody has to reply to anything. If it is annoying just pass.

Good that we have Midway and other gun-positive sites run by gun-positive people. This web site, too!

A good set of screwdrivers would help. Proper fit between driver and slot so there is no slipout, which would scar the screw head. Nothing says poor craftsman more than boogered up screw slots. You will be removing some screws on a regular basis when you start shooting. Like the lock screws. It helps to be able to clean out all the fouling. Some gets inside the lock, even with a tight barrel/lock combination.

I used your same exact phrase minus the quotes. First on the results list was this url:

Kibler Tool List

Below that were links to some of his videos.

I build my own machines. I install the Windows OS myself without any of that extra manure you get from Dell and the like.
My browser is FireFox.
My virus and security software is E-Set.
More security with Malwarebytes.

Of course one needs to learn at least the basics about configuring the software.

On the rare occasion I can't find what I want with a search, I then list what I tried in my posting asking for help. Sorry OP but your post leaves the impression that the first thing you did was to post here asking for help. I'm all for helping someone who made a decent effort first.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back