• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Flintlock holster pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicN

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This was the first gun I ever purchased around 1964, there was an antique gun shop nearby and I bought it from there, it had a broken sear spring so the price was reasonable and I bought a spring and adapted it to fit. I hadn't got into making my own springs etc back then.

It was sold as an officers holster pistol, It's 21" long and has ornament on the breach end of the1/2" bore barrel, The wood appears to be dark stained Walnut. Does the design etc suggest where it might have been made to anyone?
holster pistol.jpg
topside.jpg

underside.jpg

No idea I’d origin but it’s very interesting. Noticeable are the lack of a butt cap of any type ( but it looks like there once may have had one: in the photo I think I see the faint reminisces of a butt cap side stirrup?) and that the ramrod hole appears to be drilled almost the whole length under the barrel, with no ramrod pipes!
What does the side plate look like?
The lock looks old with the slight banana shape to it and just one screw behind the cock.
There looks like a letter “N” engraved on the top of the barrel forward of the carved design at the breech. Have you thought of removing the barrel to see if there is any markings there?
It’s a very cool old pistol.

There is no trace of a butt cap, it's just the reflection of light on the polished wood, the lock takes two screws one of which is currently missing but probably on the loft floor, There is a letter N and I'm not sure if there are other letters worn away. I probably have had the barrel off years ago but can't recall any makers name

The ramrod runs through a hole bored through the stock but is well supported.

back.jpg

There is no trace of a butt cap, it's just the reflection of light on the polished wood, the lock takes two screws one of which is currently missing but probably on the loft floor, There is a letter N and I'm not sure if there are other letters worn away. I probably have had the barrel off years ago but can't recall any makers name

The ramrod runs through a hole bored through the stock but is well supported.

View attachment 240368
I don't think it was a Presentation Piece, just seems to "regular" to have been. There was an antique shop near me in the '60's that had a big sign on the door, "No Guns or Weapons!"- it was a time when young guys were getting into Civil War and stuff, and the owner must've gotten annoyed! (He was a Quaker!).

Maybe an export pistol for the Middle East market? The grooved frizzen face says Spanish, or Italian to me. Or maybe a Turkish made pistol? If you CAREFULLY take it apart, there may be more clues….

Back