• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A few '51 Navy Qs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have very little experience with shootin black powder revolvers, so I'm hoping yall can clarify a few things fer me. My new revolver is an Uberti 1851 Navy .36 cal. The Uberti manual says that when you load round balls, a ring of lead should be shaved off. It seems like I read somewhere on this forum that you should chamfer your chamber mouths if they shave a ring of lead. I thought shaving a small ring of lead was a good thing. ::

Also, everyone suggests .380 RBs for a .36 revolver. How hard is it to load .380s? I don't have one of those loading stands, so should I stick to .375s?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions after a while. I'd sure appreciate it if the gods of the black powder revolver would bless me with some of their knowledge! :master: ::

Thanks!

Shaving a ring of lead from the ball IS a good thing, as it indicates that the ball is the right size for the chamber: However, a ball that is big enough to be shaved by the chamber mouth is also a bit tough to load, so many guys (myself included) chamfer the chamber mouths once we find a ball size we like and know fits properly in order to ease the loading process. Guns will vary. Some .36's like a .375 and some like a bit larger. I'd suggest trying both .375's and .380's to see which one your gun likes. I like to use the largest diameter ball in my .44's that I can, which in my case seems to be a .454. A snug ball is paramount in a cap 'n' ball revolver so that the unfired balls don't work their way forward under recoil. If you can manage to stuff a .380 into your gun, I'd suggest you use it. In any case, once you determine which size ball works best, THEN you can chamfer the chamber mouths just the tiniest bit. On the other hand, realize that once you chamfer the mouths you'll no longer be shaving lead off of the ball which will provide a slightly tighter fit. Now, you may ask, won't it be HARDER to load with an unshaved ball? No. It is easier to compress a ball into a chamfered mouth than it is to push it through a sharp-edged mouth that shaves a ring. At least this has been my experience. :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm glad you didn't give this post the title, Should My Balls Be Shaved? :: Folks who aren't used to cap 'n' ball jargon may think you're gettin' too personal! :: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

I use the largest size available for a particular caliber for a couple of reasons. .380 in the .36 and .457 for .44 are the size I buy because the larger ball makes for a little better bearing surface in the rifling.

I get 1.5" groups at 20 yards with .375" balls in my Uberti Remington Navy. I have not heard of too many BP revolvers that group better than that with ANY size ball. Shaved balls is NOT mandatory, but it gives some people peace of mind. Some chambers have a taper to them too...so you won't see the ring-o-lead with them.

I've found that the largest size balls can require humungous effort to load, once the gun becomes fouled, which can't be all that good for the rammer and associated parts. With my .44's I load a clean revolver with .454's, but then switch to .451's for following reloads in the field/range. My .36 loads good and tight and shoots accurately so I have no desire to try .380's.

Rat

I use .375 in my .36 cal. and they work well for me. I don't have chamfered chambers, but my gun loads well and shoots accurately as it is, so I'm not gonna mess with it. I use .451 dia. balls in my .44 Dragoon, but want to try .454s if I can find some. I also use 180 grain Buffalo Bullets in the .44 sometime, but 50 of those cost twice as much as 100 roundballs, so...

Does anyone shoot conicals form their .36 cal.? I have a brass framed '51 Colt Navy. Are conicals okay in brass frame guns?

The main point to having the balls fit tight, other than accuracy, is to keep them from riding up in the chambers under recoil. A tight fit also prevents flash-over from the fired chamber causing a chain fire. You also want to be sure the caps are firmly seated on the cones for the same reason plus they will light off the first time if they are well seated. A bit of lube over the ball will keep the fouling soft. You will be pleasantly surprised at how accurate these guns are. Wild Bill knew what he was doing when he held onto his for so long.

I measured the chambers of my Uberti 1851 Navy with a dial caliper and they are 5 x .375, and 1 x .376.

That means, a ball .380 would be the right choice, and the users manual that came with the revolver advices to use .380 balls!

As I bought 200 Hornady .375's, I'll use them, but checking after every shot if the remaining balls in the chamber are still on the wad/powder.

Accurate and a little more powerful than they get credit for, the .36's, which are really ".37's" or ".38's". Would probably be more accurate just to call them .38's.

Anyhow, most people think of the .36" as a pretty weak sister, and those balls do look pretty small, but I think that they have plenty of velocity and pure lead balls from a pistol flatten out good...I bet they are actually good killers...I would NOT want to get hit with a .36" ball from a revolver with a full chamber full of powder behind it!!

:shake: :no: :shake:

Rat

The History Channel said that Hickock killed Dave Tut with a shot through the heart from 75 yards away using a .36 cal. Navy Colt. If the range is correct that's a pretty impressive shot from any revolver with fixed open sights.

Most of these revolvers are actually sighted in for longer ranges. The Dragoons were designed to do good work well beyond 75 yards.
My Walkers with a full load are easy to hit with at 100 yards. We used to shoot at old bowling pins at 100 yards with '60 Armies. Didn't need much hold-over either. At one time, there was a story that said Hickock used a Dragoon to knock Tutt down, but I never heard any proof of it. But a one shot kill at 75 yards with a Navy is definitely some very fine shooting indeed.,

I could believe it with the Draoon. I was surprised to find that my 2nd model Dragoon shot tighter and tighter groups as i increased the powder charge. I didn't get the same results with my Navy Colt. It seems to shoot best with a midrange load( about 15-18 grains).

Gatofeo had a very good post on the revolvers some time back. Do a search for him and follow his advise closely.

rayb

Latest posts

Back