• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A dog tale... (long, sad, depressing)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vradin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm posting this here because of all the places I go, most of the folks here will understand the loss of a loved dog. If it doesn't fit or isn't appropriate just delete it, and no feelings harmed. Apologies in advance for dredging up any buried memories you may have reading this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I found him at the local shelter the day my shepherd died. I stopped in on the way home from the vet to see what the hours were, when they had open adoptions. Our other dog needed a companion, and it was lonely with only one dog in the house. By chance, they were open and had some time to show me what dogs they had. I was hoping for another shepherd or maybe a husky. Definately a female, a dog that could go camping and into the woods and keep up with an active 4 year old boy. They brought out Mookie. He was a little black Labrador Retriever mixed with some sort of terrier. What he was not, was everything I was looking for... female, shepherd, or a husky. He had floppy ears, paws too big for his feet, and a wet sloppy tongue that barely stayed in his mouth, and the absolute silliest look on his face. He had a sillier name too. I knew it was a mistake, it was wrong, he wasn't the "right" dog for me. But he looked up at me, rested his head on my leg, and those eyes said you'll never be sorry if I come home with you.

He was not a hunting dog, unless you count hunting for handouts at the dinner table. He was not really a retriever, but he would find, steal, and eat a loaf of bread if he could sniff it out, even in the fridge. He wasn't even really my dog. He followed my wife around like a, well.... like a lost puppy,since the day I brought him home from the shelter. Of the dogs we've had over the last 20 or so years, this one was "Her Dog". Where she went he was there, usually underfoot. He always got his 10% 'agent's fee' of anything she might be eating. He slept at the foot end of the bed, muzzle resting on whatever body part was convenient for him to reach. At least one of us was comfortable.

He never hunted, did not like the water, did like cats, loved peanut butter, hated to fetch anything, preferred being indoors to outside, watched television and never once complained when we turned off the Animal Channel to watch a movie. Wasn't allowed on the furniture but made himself quite at home in the recliner or on the sofa when no one was looking.

He was my wife's dog, when ever she was here. When it was only he and I at home, he was my shop dog, resting on his carpet in the corner or getting covered in sawdust or shavings. He watched me build more things than anyone else, and he never once criticised my work or complained about me using the wrong tool for the job. He always knew enough to be looking the other way when I made dumb mistakes too, and didn't go telling about the time I miscut a plank for using a metric scale instead of the english one.

He was the one who always let me know when the steaks were done on the grill, who finished off the leftovers, who made sure that the chicken gizzards and fat trimmings never went to waste, and watched over my cooking to see that I never over-salted the pasta. He called attention to the boiling over pots and burnt eggs when my wife cooked, a better timer than the smoke detectors.

Labrador's stay puppies for a long time. Full of energy and enthusiasm, alert, interested in anything in his surroundings. He was a puppy for the longest time until the first seizure a month ago. Grand mal, total loss of control, brain function, smell, sight, hearing. He turned into an old dog at the turn of a switch. The doc said he wasn't in any pain, gave him a mild tranquilizer to help control and prevent the seizures but it wasn't helping much. He had a second a week ago, worse than the first, and he got older still. His back legs didn't work as well now, and he went off his food and water. He was now officially an "Ol' Dawg", having to be lifted onto the bed at night to sleep.

Monday, I came home from taking my son to school and found him trapped under the bed, in the midst of a third seizure. Scared, alone, and trapped, I got him out and comforted him best as I could. He slowly came out of it over the next few hours. I knew that it was time. He spent the rest of the day pacing the house, dragging his back leg, unable to hear, partly blind from the last episode, pacing a circle of the rooms looking for a place to rest but unable to stop. He would fall over and then sleep where and how he fell for a short time, get up and start pacing again.

When my wife got home from work, we took him out to the car. One stumbling lap around the yard, unsure of foot and balance he marked HIS yard. My son helped lift him into the back of the truck.

He did not go quietly into that good night. His fraililty of body and brain belied a spirit buried deep within. His 15 year old body could neither hear nor see, his sense of smell was all but gone. He could barely recognize where he was or who he was with. My wife and I stroked and held him until he took a last breath and with a heavy shudder and sigh was gone.

For the first time in 23 years there is no dog at the foot of the bed, no one to "guard" me in the shop or watch when I cook. No one begging for a monent away from my writing for an ear scratch or a quick run in the yard just to see who's out there. No one to nudge my leg whilst in the shop, reminding me it's time for a break.

No he was not a hunting dog, but he might have been if there was bread to be found. He was not a lot of things that some, even most, dogs are. What he was, was a loyal friend and true companion. What he is, is missed.

Goodbye old friend. We'll see you at the bridge someday.

Mookie, 1990-2005
mookie2.jpg

Sorry to hear about the loss of Mookie, pets have become family members in many homes throughout the planet...

Just because Mookie was a "dog" does not make the loss any less traumatizing...

Sorry to hear about your pal . Nothing like good dog to make life that much better. I think we all know how you feel . Lost my Golden about 3 yars ago . Still wake up at night thinking I hear her wanting out. Nuff said
God bless. :sorry:

Thats sad, sorry Vic I know how you feel, I've been through it tomany times myself. My best friend, my Choc lab just turned 7, still a pup and I hope I have atleast another 7 years left with her. It just don't seem fair, their time goes so quick...

Vic, So sorry to hear about Mookie. I know what you are going through- I've buried two family pets. Monti was part coyote and the smartest dog I ever saw. She hated everyone but me...not "biteing" hate, but "intimidateing stare" hate.I can still see her bright yellow eyes that seemed to go right to my soul. She was my girl for 14 years.

My next one was an australian shephard...a clown from birth till she died after 12 years of keeping my wife and I laughing.

I now have a beagle..age 14 and blind in one eye: A flat coat retreiver..age 7 and a mommas boy; and another Aussie that's only 3 and sleeps with her collection of tennis balls.

So, I really do know how you feel and cry right along with you. Best advice...get another dog that doesn't look anything like Mookie. It makes it easier to not compare the two when they don't resemble each other.

again, sorry for your loss.

Vic,so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.We had to go through the same thing a couple of weeks ago when our oldest dog,14 years,had to be put down.I still get out the same number of milk bones as I always did at night and the wife keeps looking at the sliding glass door expecting to see her there wanting to be let in.
It's always tough to lose the good ones and your tribute is a touching one.

Vic, Im sorry about your loss, Mookie sounds like he was a good friend, and a perfect dog, even though he was'nt what you were looking for :). Funny how that works out isnt it..

My heartfelt condolences, Vic. We lost our Benji several months ago. A little water spaniel/mix, he would fetch stuff all day out of water (pool, river, lake, ocean) but not give something on land a second look. He, too, started having seizures about the time the hurricanes blew through last August. Despite trips to the vet and meds, it was downhill from there. My 11 year old daughter took it the hardest. We buried him in the back yard not far from the pool where he spent so much time. Time will ease the pain and memories of the good and happy times will remain.

How do, Vic. I empathize with you and mourn your loss, but I'm happy you had a loving companion for as long as you did. Your eulogy shows how much a part of your life he was. I figure that's the only downside to dogs...they don't stick around as long as we'd like, but I think they live about ten times as hard as longer-lived animals to make up for the brevity of their alotted years.

I'll drink a toast tonight to the memory of your Mookie.

I lost my best hound in March. I'm still not over it yet. I would post a picture of her but it to depressing.

SP

Vic, I read a saying about the afterlife of dogs. The author said if there were no dogs in heaven, he did was not sure he wanted to go there.

I still have strong feelings for the dogs I have buried on the family farm over the years. I'm confident I will meet them in heaven.

Joel Lehman

I too am sorry to hear of your loss. My Jezabel was the light of my life for 16 years and went tipi camping with me everwhere. When her time came I held her head and cried my eyes out. She is still with me now....had her cremated. Just could put her in the groud. When I go she goes with me...it is in my will.

Still looking for that right look in the eyes.

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

Vic, what a touching story and wonderful tribute to a well loved family memeber. I lost my pal, Tramp, the week after my Grandpa died. Was the second hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life. I have yet to get another dog, and it's been almost 20 years. Tramp was MY dog, wouldn't listen to anyone else but me. He let the neighborhood know when I came home, no matter the time of day or night, broke more chains than any other animal I have known, followed the bus when I left for school and was there when I came home. I shed more tears on that collie/spaniel mix than any human shoulder. He was also the smartest animal I have evern had the pleasure to be around. I miss him still..... :sorry: :sorry: :cry:

my condolences vic....i haven't lost a long time friend like you all have....but i have a great girl now and not wanting to go through what has been said....i know i will have to in the future....she will be 4 in october and can't even try to know what you are feeling right now....

089076.jpg

i know it will be hard when her time comes....i've lost cats but i know it will not the same as my mitzi girl....she will sit by the door and whine fer me when i'm outside in the yard and sleep with me when i come home from my 3rd shift job....as a matter of fact she's by my side now....she is daddys girl fer sure....once again sorry fer yer loss and i'm not trying to take anyones thunder here and by all means yours :(..............bob

I sorrow for your loss. I too have lost good dogs and I know just how much it hurts to say farewell. I believe about dogs as our ancestors in pre-Christian Europe and some of the Indian tribes did: that canine love is an expression of divine love, perhaps the closest in this life we will ever come to knowing divine love, and that the existence of dogs is a special gift, proof of a benevolent creator. Do not be surprised if -- in the days to come -- you briefly glimpse your Mookie at the edges of your vision, tail awag and as lively as in puppyhood; there is an old tradition, perhaps Celtic, perhaps Indian, that the spirit of a dog will often linger a few days before moving on, as if to make certain human kinfolk have endured. And thank you so much for telling your story. It is poignant, yes, but it reminds all of us who have been blessed by the company of dogs just what a great fine blessing it truly is.

Sorry to hear of your loss, yup, dogs are neat creatures....Olie and I beleive they are just little people in doggy suits.

Never believed that untill one day the wife says: "I promised the kids you'd get them a dog." My reply was: "Are you crazy? We need a dog, NOW? And you told them I would get one for them? What on earth for?"

Well, son Phil and I were at the local Home Disaster (They have everything, but the help...oh brother! If it weren't for velcro shoes they'd be shoeless!) and across the street was one of those 'big box pet stores'. I thought it would be a good idea to stop in and look at some books about, well, dogs.

Damn if it wasn't doggy adoption day at this place! There were dogs everywhere! And all these dogs were going nuts, they were barking and jumping and howling and tugging at their leashes....it was pandamonium on steroids!

There was this young lady trying, trying mind you, to keep things under control. She would have had better luck trying to contain a tornado in a sandwich bag!

So I thought: "Blahman, while your here, you may as well ask the expert over there about dogs." ( Don't ya hate when ya talk to yerself?) And so I did.

I asked her several questions concerning dogs and such I noticed that despite all the ongoing noise and havoc there was this one dog that sidled up to us and just sat there. The dog sat there, never barked, growled, fussed or carried on.

"Say," says I, "is this dog up for adoption?" Says the young lady: "Well Mr. Blahman, (how'd she know my name?) she is and her name is Angel."

We adopted Angel right there, on the spot. We promised to pick her up from the vet's later on. Believe it or not, several folks inquired after we left about that same dog, and some offered twice what we paid in adoption fee's.

Well, Angel's been with us for three years now and she has blended in with the family from about the first night on. She is one of the other 'kids' so to speak. Not only that, but she loves car rides, loves to play with all the other kids, knows where she lives, loves her toys and doesn't chew up anything, likes cats. She also insists on sleeping in the wife's and mine room at night....if she doesn't, she cries like a baby.

Angel is also very smart. Almost too smart for her own good!

Sorry I bored you folks with such a sappy story (there's more to it, but I wish not to bore people), but, like Olie says: "there just little people in a doggy suite."

I understand how you feel, I wish I could help.

Vic,
Sorry to hear of your lost of a family member.
I like dogs more than most people I know.
Dogs don't lie. Are faithfull .And love you more than they love themselves. Yep, dogs are Gods way of makeing sure we belive in angels. Why else whould he have put them here to watch over us.
Losing a pal is hard, but time helps all wounds.
Keep all the good thoughts and memorys of "Mookie" .
And remeber you saved Mookie from a even shorter life by addopting him from the shelter to start with. Your a good man.

Woody

Back