• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A big hello from Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom44

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm Tom from Austin, Texas. I've never done muzzleloading before, but am considering getting into it and that is why I'm here. I am into other firearms like old shotguns and military surplus bolt action rifles. I Haven't collected anything fancy, just whatever happens to be a bargain at the time. (Did I mention that I'm a tightwad?) One of my favorite rifles in a Mosin Nagant model 91/30. Some folks aren't very impressed by this rifle, but is fits me perfectly and I really like long rifles with lots of wood on them. Anyway, muzzleloading looks like fun, so I'm thinking about giving it a try. I've always admired the old style Hawken and Kentucky rifles, and like my old Mosin Nagain 91/30, those long rifles with nice wood have always been appealing to me.

I'll probably start with something used. Any tips on what to look for, or look out for, on a used muzzleloader?

Tom

Welcome to the MLF Tom!!! You have come to the right place to learn about our beloved muzzle loaders. :hatsoff:

Tom P.M. me and maybe we can get together. I am in Schertz, a little less than an hour South of you. If you can find the place to shoot, I'll provide the rifle, powder and shot. I warn you now though that this is only the beginning of an obsession that will afflict you for a lifetime.
:( :)

Tom,
Welcome to the MLF,great to have you with us
Hope you will visit often and contribute
when you can.
As to your question, read thru the many forums here and I think you will get answered.
I am snake-eyes:thumbsup:

A big welcome from the other side of the Big Pond,Tom.
As my father once said: Listen and learn, son.
:hatsoff:

Tom,

Welcome to the ML forum! It's a great place to learn about all things BP. Sounds like Jim warned ya how addictive it can be. :wink: GW

Welcome to camp! You might look around your pawnshops for a used TC or a Traditions! Check over real good before purchase!

another Texan, Davey jumps for joy! Welcome, many long-time BP shooters here. myself a measly 17 years. check the bore carefully of any used guns you happen upon and insist on running a patch in/out to check the bore. Good Luck!

Welcome Tom. I'm just north of you in the Fort Hood area. Check McBrides, they may have some decent rifles. I also like the old military guns, my favorite is my Garand and a close second in my No.1 Mk III SMLE. Email me if you'd like to jaw a bit.

Chris

Howdy & a big Texian welcome brother from Ft. Worth! :hatsoff:
It depends on what you ar trying to achieve .. some here like only custom guns .. others commercially made guns .. its up to you .. your desires & $$$! :surrender: Just ask around and you will get plenty of advice here .. IMHO you should NOT get in a hurry until you know what you want! :hmm:

Davy

Welcome.
Don't throw away your Milsurps. After Muzzleloaders, they are next on the fun scale. :hatsoff:

Hi Tom, welcome aboard! I was just in Austin a few weeks ago for the gun show there. I'm from El Paso, myself.

Muzzleloading is an adventure unto itself. It's the most addictive of the shooting sports. I hope you find as much fun, satisfaction and interest in it as I have. This is definately the place to pick up useful info.

Howdy, I live in Waco (well for 9 months out of a year) and I am a transplanted Washington native (State of) and I think you will have a grand time here.

Welcome Tom 44, Lots of good info on this web site & a great sport to get into. Good Luck & Good Shootin' Just remember all good guns don't have to cost alot.

Howdy again Tom

If you like long rifles with lotsa wood ... then once you pick up, & handle a Kentucky long rifle, and then shoot it ... well you will be hooked for life. They have a feel all their own brother, with that slim, balanced, & graceful feel, and it sets in deep once it hooks you! :hmm: :shocked2: :grin:

Davy

Back