• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

90 grain power measure antler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been wanting to find an antler shed to make an antler powder measure like the old guys used when they squirrel hunted. They shot around 60 grains so didn't take a very large antler. I found a shed today that I believe will be large enough in diameter for 90 grains. Will post a finished product later today I hope.
20211124_101158.jpg
20211124_101441.jpg

That has been over 30 years ago. I really have no Idea exactly how much they were shooting. They are who got me interested in muzzleloader hunting/shooting. I know I had a 50 grain one that was brass that one of them gave me. The point I was making is I needed a large in diameter antler for 90 grains. But, I was always told to shoot right above the squirrels head and "Bark it" so the impact on the tree kills it. But I was shooting a .50Cal the only gun I had. All of them have passed away now so I can't ask them now. I'm using it for deer not squirrel.

Thank you FishDfry. I am off today so was a fun quick project. The hard part was drilling down a curved antler. But the curve gives it a better fit in the hand.

Thank you FishDfry. I am off today so was a fun quick project. The hard part was drilling down a curved antler. But the curve gives it a better fit in the hand.

Most of the sheds I find would be good for a pan primer, 3 grains if lucky.

I put the pour spout on there to act as a back board when pouring from my flask or horn. Also helps to funnel powder into the barrel.

Yours is the first one I have seen with a pour spout, I like the idea.

On the Possibles Shop site they have loading blocks made from antler pieces, they are interesting. They are scrimshawed with a small design, kind of like turkey tracks. I had to buy one, well made and takes up very little room in a bag.

Latest posts

Back